XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Test drove Tesla, seriously thinking of switching

So recently I test drove the Tesla Models S, and I am seriously thinking of switching. First of all, I want to provide some background. I currently have a 2014 535i Msport, which I got last summer, after owning a 2013 Lexus GS Fsport for 1.5 years. I switched because the Lexus had really weak low-end torque due to being NA. So I tested numerous cars, including 550i (felt too heavy while turning), S6 (somehow didn’t end up with it), Macan S (didn’t work out because ordering took way too long), and ended up in a 535 due to an amazing deal that popped up. Then fast forward half a year, and I am shopping again… this time because wife’s lease will soon be due so we can get a different car. I have always had what I would consider an illogical yearning for the M3/4 although many had told me that I probably wouldn’t like them because I hate revving any car beyond 4k rpm. Anyways, I decided that I just had to try it to determine it once and for all, so I went a few days ago and did a pretty long test drive of the M4. Basically the result is… I liked the car whenever I was not accelerating because accelerating was too loud… Although the acceleration felt great, but the noise was just too annoying (sorry, I psychologically feel cars sound tired and exhausted whenever engines rev too high and are too loud, and it makes me annoyed).

From these experiences, I know I want a car with very good low-end torque, and not too loud. Anyways, almost as a tourism item (because I never considered Tesla before), I booked a Tesla test drive on the same day as the M4. I had been a Tesla skeptic over the years and had always thought that it ll likely not succeed. However after driving the Tesla, my entire perception of the automobile changed. I came out the store thinking that this is the future of the automobile. I only test drove the regular 85, but in every factor that matters to me, the car was superior to every car I have driven over the past year. The interior, tho not top quality like an Audi A8 or Mercedes S class, was very techy feeling, particularly with the center screen and the new autopilot features. However the most important factors were in the driving experience. Again, this is only the regular 85 on regular suspension, but I felt the suspension was on par with BMW Sedans and Porsche Panamera. The instant torque was exhilarating… I went on a curved off-ramp and an on-ramp at very fast acceleration and speed, and I had a big smile on my face the entire test drive. I had never experienced that, not even on the M4, as the annoying noise just took away any positive feeling I had accelerating the car. The Tesla however, was just sublime. The acceleration, stability, sporty steering, and also lack of noise, were in combination the most exhilarating driving experience I have ever had.

Therefore, I am seriously thinking of switching... Will try to cool down for a few days, as to not make a rush decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Why are you looking at high performance cars if you hate wringing out an engine? Does not compute.

Honestly, a big ponderous diesel would be a better match for you. 1.5-3k rpms all day every day.
      03-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

You must be the Bizarro version of me with opposite tastes in everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

get off the car boards
      03-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

You sound like you are 90 years old?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Wow, very unfriendly responses.

So, I don't like loud engine noises beyond certain RPM, but I really enjoy fast acceleration, sporty handling, suspension, and steering, and also enjoy advanced technology.

I would assume most people here like the same things as well. So we really only disagree on one item.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
Wow, very unfriendly responses.

So, I don't like loud engine noises beyond certain RPM, but I really enjoy fast acceleration, sporty handling, suspension, and steering, and also enjoy advanced technology.

I would assume most people here like the same things as well. So we really only disagree on one item.
P85D!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:11 PM   #8
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

So you want a quiet car that doesn't rev over 4k rpm. I'm glad you found tesla.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Go for it, zer0cool. 5000 pounds of lithium ion batteries and the interior of that Tesla are just calling for you.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
The Tesla seems like it fits your needs well and it's an amazing car. Will it be your only car though? I know some people have been skeptical of having the tesla as their/their families only vehicle.

If you wanted something quick without the sound for a similar price, why not look at the Mercedes E550 4-MATIC/CLS550 or the Audi S6/7? (I think I posted something similar in your thread on the M3/4 forum but don't know if there was a reply). The Benzes especially are super torquey low end and have really muffled exhausts stock (especially if your windows are up!)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Without any sarcasm, you don't seem like a car guy. Any car with some decent luxury might work fine for you.

However,

Your inputs:
- The car must be quiet(er), don't like rev-ing, feel like the car suffers.
- Must have torque to put that grin on your face.
- Must be techy and with nice interior (feel premium)

My output:
My opinion is that you should buy a diesel BMW (if they offer it there).

- They don't rev much,
- The torque is there (believe me),
- they are the sportiest diesels
- They purr like a cat (if you like that "torquey" sleepy sound),
- They don't cost like a Tesla,
- You can get a pretty nice luxury interior,
- They don't run in batteries,
- It doesn't need charging,
- you squeeze a lot of mileage from one tank
- You squeeze a lot of mileage from the whole car (yeah, I am talking hundreds of thousands of miles). With proper care, they last forever. Not joking.

Last edited by Teutonic; 03-02-2015 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 11:30 PM   #12
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So recently I test drove the Tesla Models S, and I am seriously thinking of switching. First of all, I want to provide some background. I currently have a 2014 535i Msport, which I got last summer, after owning a 2013 Lexus GS Fsport for 1.5 years. I switched because the Lexus had really weak low-end torque due to being NA. So I tested numerous cars, including 550i (felt too heavy while turning), S6 (somehow didn’t end up with it), Macan S (didn’t work out because ordering took way too long), and ended up in a 535 due to an amazing deal that popped up. Then fast forward half a year, and I am shopping again… this time because wife’s lease will soon be due so we can get a different car. I have always had what I would consider an illogical yearning for the M3/4 although many had told me that I probably wouldn’t like them because I hate revving any car beyond 4k rpm. Anyways, I decided that I just had to try it to determine it once and for all, so I went a few days ago and did a pretty long test drive of the M4. Basically the result is… I liked the car whenever I was not accelerating because accelerating was too loud… Although the acceleration felt great, but the noise was just too annoying (sorry, I psychologically feel cars sound tired and exhausted whenever engines rev too high and are too loud, and it makes me annoyed).

From these experiences, I know I want a car with very good low-end torque, and not too loud. Anyways, almost as a tourism item (because I never considered Tesla before), I booked a Tesla test drive on the same day as the M4. I had been a Tesla skeptic over the years and had always thought that it ll likely not succeed. However after driving the Tesla, my entire perception of the automobile changed. I came out the store thinking that this is the future of the automobile. I only test drove the regular 85, but in every factor that matters to me, the car was superior to every car I have driven over the past year. The interior, tho not top quality like an Audi A8 or Mercedes S class, was very techy feeling, particularly with the center screen and the new autopilot features. However the most important factors were in the driving experience. Again, this is only the regular 85 on regular suspension, but I felt the suspension was on par with BMW Sedans and Porsche Panamera. The instant torque was exhilarating… I went on a curved off-ramp and an on-ramp at very fast acceleration and speed, and I had a big smile on my face the entire test drive. I had never experienced that, not even on the M4, as the annoying noise just took away any positive feeling I had accelerating the car. The Tesla however, was just sublime. The acceleration, stability, sporty steering, and also lack of noise, were in combination the most exhilarating driving experience I have ever had.

Therefore, I am seriously thinking of switching... Will try to cool down for a few days, as to not make a rush decision.
Have you talking in consideration the issues of range, charging with the Tesla?

I agree they are great cars, but a bit different than a 5 series and for sure a M3.

Have you looked at an I3? OR a diesel ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:03 AM   #13
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Just a clash of perceived/conceived identity and actual identity. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

335d would be a great option.
      03-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Not sure why all the hate, OP seems like you found a car that fits your needs and wants out of a daily vehicle. I say go for it.

I guess you upset the forum collective by not saying you test drove a Porsche 911 GT3 RS and now you want one...

Most of the unfounded hate comes from those people driving 135i's and older 3 Series. Newsflash, not everyone wants a canyon carver car, some people place a heavy emphasis on comfort and instant acceleration. When it comes to that, a Model S works just fine. That or a 550i....

The attitudes of those individuals are probably more at home on a Honda Civic Si forum than on here. Not everyone wants to buy a car to take to the track or to auto-x events.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #15
///MCFC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

there are some real dicks on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCFC View Post
there are some real dicks on this forum.
there's some real dicks on all forums. i know that's no excuse for being rude but i thought i would mention it.

in fairness, this is a bmw forum and this is a thread about tesla's. i'm not sure what kind of response the OP was expecting.

i'm not sure i would come to a forum where some people bitch about engines getting smaller with the use of turbos and then talk about the inverse of naturally aspirated engines.

i mean, i didn't even read the OP's long-winded post, i just came in this thread to read the replies.
      03-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #17
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Good for you OP. Its exactly the reason why I don't want to test drive a Tesla as it will mess up my brain. The Tesla has instant 100% torque (even at zero RPM) - and will kill most Ferraris from 0-80mph where I spend most of my time driving. Of course, there's a trade off (weight, charging time, etc), but who cares. People who buy a Tesla has other cars for other purposes. I'm just scared to drive one - once I own one, I will not be happy with any sports/sports car that I can afford.

To the OP, don't listen to the haters - a lot of these peeps are virtual F1 drivers.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #18
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
I had been a Tesla skeptic over the years and had always thought that it ll likely not succeed. However after driving the Tesla, my entire perception of the automobile changed. I came out the store thinking that this is the future of the automobile.
This has been the story of SO many test drives. They're really great cars, if only more would have an open mind to it like yourself!

On top of it being such an amazing car, it's also nice to know that what is arguably the most innovative automotive manufacturer of today is in fact US designed, managed, and manufactured.

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:47 AM   #19
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
Good for you OP. Its exactly the reason why I don't want to test drive a Tesla as it will mess up my brain. The Tesla has instant 100% torque (even at zero RPM) - and will kill most Ferraris from 0-80mph where I spend most of my time driving. Of course, there's a trade off (weight, charging time, etc), but who cares. People who buy a Tesla has other cars for other purposes. I'm just scared to drive one - once I own one, I will not be happy with any sports/sports car that I can afford.

To the OP, don't listen to the haters - a lot of these peeps are virtual F1 drivers.
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but how's it possible for an engine of any kind to produce torque at 0 RPM?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into what you're saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

[QUOTE=fecurtis;17497830]Maybe I'm just being stupid, but how's it possible for an engine of any kind to produce torque at 0 RPM?

LMGIFY:

READ HERE
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #21
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Just a clash of perceived/conceived identity and actual identity. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

335d would be a great option.
They don't sell the 335d here anymore. I think a 535d might suit him though
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #22
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
They don't sell the 335d here anymore. I think a 535d might suit him though
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Can't believe they stopped importing it. I'd love to get a diesel for day to day. Not many options for us yanks.

Can you get the Alpina D3 here?