XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
surewin
///M3mber
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
X5 M and X6 M not developed by BMW M GmbH?

I'm not sure if anyone here can confirm with credible sources, but I read this in Wikipedia:

"The BMW X5 and X6 sport activity vehicles received M derivatives for the 2010 model year onwards. These are the first M vehicles with xDrive four-wheel drive and automatic transmissions, and also the first M-badged SUV models. However, the E70 and E71 X5 and X6 M were actually developed by BMW Group rather than by BMW M."

There wasn't any source for this statement, but the press release of the X5 M and X6 M didn't specifically state that the X5 M or the X6 M were developed in BMW M GmbH:

" Through this industry-first combination of attributes, the M5 redefined the capabilities of a sedan with levels of power, precision, balance, and linear control never before imaginable. Since then, finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. Now the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product."

BMW press kit describing the 40 years of M:

"M GmbH also posted significant growth in the sale of sports packages which were meanwhile available for the models of the BMW 1 Series, BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series and BMW 6 Series, as well as for the BMW X3 and the BMW X5.

This naturally meant that expansion now really started to take off. The high-performance character of automobiles produced by BMW M GmbH was first transferred to the segment of BMW X models with the BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M in 2009."

Thoughts?

6-Speed | Inconel M Exhaust | Stoptech | Macht Schnell | AST
Instagram: surewin_e92m
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I for one have two Ms and am loving that both, my M3 V8 and this monster, were built by BMW. Two different vehicles for enthusiasts. Love it except gas mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Possibly they mean manufactured...no M car is currently manufactured by gmbh, nor any component - it used to be the engines. Now M engines are largely based on existing engines, and part of the architecture planning from the get go. More profits from more integration.
Appreciate 0