XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
AlbertaCanada
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw x6

Exclamation 2018 BMW x6 engine fail

Hello,

I'm new to the forum
I live in cold Alberta, Canada.

I'm looking for some opinion, and perhaps someone that has been in similar situation.

I have 2018 BMW X6, under extended warranty (up to 160k). Currently I'm at 120k.

I've had the car since 2019. I did not have any issues until last week.

Last week, after leaving work (it was cold -30) my Car started and died right away. First I thought, perhaps battery is low, but it did not seem like it because power was on. Just to be safe, I tried to boost it, by mobile booster and later by another vehicle. Car did not start.

Two messages came up: first one that said: "Battery discharging while stopped, start engine, if fault persists, consul service center"; and another one, 20 minutes later after trying to boost it "BWM Road Side assistance, It is not possible to restart the engine, please call roadside assistance".

To note here, My car is always parked in the insulated garage, and the only time it is parked outside is when I'm parked at work (25 - 30 min drive to work) Never had this issue before, not last winter (when car started with no issues at -40) and winter before that.

The car is under the warranty, was always serviced on time by the BMW service (BMW BAVARIA EDMONTON). I got it towed to the service. They run diagnostics etc, told me the bearing and rotor is messed up. They submit the claim to BMW Warranty (BMW Guard Warranty). I have a platinum warranty up to 160k which means pretty much bumper to bumper, any issues that occur they fix, unless it is my fault.

I don't see it being my fault. I was told it is not recommended to have a block heater installed, I was even told it would be hard to install it. I was told those cars should start in cold weather with no problems.

Now I was told by service that car will need a new engine (they said $36,000) need to order from Germany. Meanwhile, the BMW Safe Guard warranty company asked service to provide pictures and all the findings, as well as history of maintenance. Now they have asked for my consent open the engine to look inside and snap more pictures. I was told it will cost me $1500 to open it up. I said go ahead... now questions I have are:
1. has anyone here been in similar situation? What was the outcome?
2. shouldn't warranty cover the $1,500?

I think what they trying to do is trying to find a way to say it is my fault, which it is not, because as mentioned earlier, the car has always took premium, and any maintenance has always been done on time through BMW Bavaria service under another warranty I have which is service warranty.

Also, what is the bets option? fix the car, have a new engine, and keep driving ( I don't mind it if fixing is not out of my pocket), or sell the car if for some reason I need to split the costs or cover it all?

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCanada View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the forum
I live in cold Alberta, Canada.

I'm looking for some opinion, and perhaps someone that has been in similar situation.

I have 2018 BMW X6, under extended warranty (up to 160k). Currently I'm at 120k.

I've had the car since 2019. I did not have any issues until last week.

Last week, after leaving work (it was cold -30) my Car started and died right away. First I thought, perhaps battery is low, but it did not seem like it because power was on. Just to be safe, I tried to boost it, by mobile booster and later by another vehicle. Car did not start.

Two messages came up: first one that said: "Battery discharging while stopped, start engine, if fault persists, consul service center"; and another one, 20 minutes later after trying to boost it "BWM Road Side assistance, It is not possible to restart the engine, please call roadside assistance".

To note here, My car is always parked in the insulated garage, and the only time it is parked outside is when I'm parked at work (25 - 30 min drive to work) Never had this issue before, not last winter (when car started with no issues at -40) and winter before that.

The car is under the warranty, was always serviced on time by the BMW service (BMW BAVARIA EDMONTON). I got it towed to the service. They run diagnostics etc, told me the bearing and rotor is messed up. They submit the claim to BMW Warranty (BMW Guard Warranty). I have a platinum warranty up to 160k which means pretty much bumper to bumper, any issues that occur they fix, unless it is my fault.

I don't see it being my fault. I was told it is not recommended to have a block heater installed, I was even told it would be hard to install it. I was told those cars should start in cold weather with no problems.

Now I was told by service that car will need a new engine (they said $36,000) need to order from Germany. Meanwhile, the BMW Safe Guard warranty company asked service to provide pictures and all the findings, as well as history of maintenance. Now they have asked for my consent open the engine to look inside and snap more pictures. I was told it will cost me $1500 to open it up. I said go ahead... now questions I have are:
2. shouldn't warranty cover the $1,500?

I think what they trying to do is trying to find a way to say it is my fault, which it is not, because as mentioned earlier, the car has always took premium, and any maintenance has always been done on time through BMW Bavaria service under another warranty I have which is service warranty.

Also, what is the bets option? fix the car, have a new engine, and keep driving ( I don't mind it if fixing is not out of my pocket), or sell the car if for some reason I need to split the costs or cover it all?

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Thank you

Stormy NB responding..

“Now they have asked for my consent open the engine to look inside and snap more pictures. I was told it will cost me $1500 to open it up. I said go ahead... now questions I have are:
2. shouldn't warranty cover the $1,500?”

Who is they… the dealer or BMW Canada?
1. Not so far as I know or have experienced through many years of BMW ownership.
2. Yes. My guess it’s a bullshit dealer thing… You are under warranty unless BMW is now turning into a completely crap outfit…Not my experience.

My 1 Get ready to detonate on them if all else fails - pick a peak time full of customers when/if all else fails.

My 2. Tell them for good measure, you will be advising your new BMW owning friends, virtually and real world.

My 3. You are under warranty - I also take BMW warranty to 6 years/160 - have you modded the vehicle in anyway?

Good luck and please come back to let us know how his develops.

Feel free to pm me…
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #3
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

FYI, my vehicle is a year round runner. Kept in an unheated but insulated garage.

Wife’s 2019 sits outside and is currently buried in a snow drift.

We don’t use block heaters on either.

Don’t MoD.

Hook up vehicles to life support when we go away.

Always keep the gas tanks no less than 1:2 full.

X6Ms kill batteries sitting around in the cold….even brand new ones…Not our usual experience with BMW batteries.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
AlbertaCanada
Rep

Thanks for reply.

By "They" I mean the BMW Safe Guard Warranty, (not associated with BMW Bavaria Dealer and Service). When I bought the car, in 2019 it was several months uded, so I bought it as used. I asked to purchase extended warranty up to 160k which was through Safe Guard.

The BMW Safe-Guard Warranty representative asked for a consent to look inside the engine to try to figure out why it failed. I guess they are looking for any reasons to say it is not covered under warranty.

I have not modded the vehicle. All I did was tinted side and back windows, that's about it.

Will update on this for sure.

Any other comments are welcome, thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Understand… so a third party warranty company.

https://www.autoguide.com/safe-guard...rranty-review/

Never had one.

Is it explicitly in the policy that you have to pay for the inspection/diagnostic?

Just out of interest, I guess you could not get BMW Canada extended warranty because of mileage on purchase?

Reading that review, if it’s the same company, may be time to lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
AlbertaCanada
Rep

damn...
yeah that's the one.... I think.
I got a car at around 35k so mileage wasn't so high. The regular warranty was still active. The BMW did not offer extended warranty, they suggested warranty through them, the only option to extend warranty was through safe-guard.

The inspections and diagnostics I was told is out of pocket, unless they warranty is going to fix it up, so they cover diagnostics etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

The Alternator usually dies around 120k/mi. This will create a scary situation where all systems gradually shut-down, due to battery dying and charging system being unable to send current to the battery.

Is there any way to get a second opinion? Also, the fuel injectors must always be clean. This means more than frequent fuel system cleaning and always use the highest-quality gasoline available. My X6M is going on nearly 140k/mi and the main issues are slight increase in oil burning(PCV breather system).
      01-08-2022, 11:26 AM   #8
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Do you run 0W grade oil in this car? since you seem to have colder winters?

Also, if they find the issue to be related to something that WASNT your fault, they should refund you that $1500 (the dealer or the warranty).

You should dually file a claim with BMW North America.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
AlbertaCanada
Rep

reply to 1er_vert: Maintenance has always been done in dealership, oil changes and all as required, so I assume they were putting the correct oil, since the car i purchased was from them.

reply to Dawgz: I should dually file a claim with BMW North America? Should I wait to hear from warranty and once I hear from them then as necessary make a claim to BMW NA, or should I do it regardless?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #10
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Temps down to mid -30C….. stayed with 5W30 (LL04...not LL01)… Never an issue….Was in the higher in snow zone today… chucking the old beast about…

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 01-10-2022 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: Added LL04
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:25 AM   #11
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Paying 1500$ for diagnostic is wasting of your money. Dealer will not fix engine, regardless what they find, they will order crate engine from Germany and replace it.
Only thing,you will be shorter for 1500$, plus insurance is "fishing" how to avoid paying for new engine. Do not consent.
      01-09-2022, 11:02 AM   #12
AlbertaCanada
Rep

diagnostics was $200 and Iw as told it will be cover if the warranty is going to take over. $1500 is for opening the engine to see what caused the issue, and the repairs under warranty is pending upon opening the engine, therefore has to be open if I want to use warranty... I guess
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I was reading the US BBB on them… and the diagnostic up-front aspect…. Which seem to be covered less your deductible if the problem is covered.

I hope you make out OK…
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 02:44 PM   #14
AlbertaCanada
Rep

I hope so too.. should have an all the answers this week.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #15
AlbertaCanada
Rep

***UPDATE***

So fortunately, the warranty people did not find any issue caused by me, so they are putting a brand new engine in, and covering all the costs including costs of opening engine, diagnostics, rental (until BMW loaner is available), Engine is already on it's way from Germany (4 weeks wait).

Now, I'm thinking... once the job is done, I will have a 2018 BMW x6 with brand new engine with 0km on it instead of 120,000km on it. Other the engine, I did not have any issues with it.

is it better to keep driving it? Or maybe sell it and get a new one... if selling it, what do you guys think of the price. Would brand new engine increase the price of the vehicle?
Appreciate 1
TTV8M122.50
      01-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #16
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCanada View Post
***UPDATE***

So fortunately, the warranty people did not find any issue caused by me, so they are putting a brand new engine in, and covering all the costs including costs of opening engine, diagnostics, rental (until BMW loaner is available), Engine is already on it's way from Germany (4 weeks wait).

Now, I'm thinking... once the job is done, I will have a 2018 BMW x6 with brand new engine with 0km on it instead of 120,000km on it. Other the engine, I did not have any issues with it.

is it better to keep driving it? Or maybe sell it and get a new one... if selling it, what do you guys think of the price. Would brand new engine increase the price of the vehicle?
Good to hear your positive news.

Do the numbers…. but I would be likely to keep…. I would also consider replace tranny/diff fluids (at least drain and fill the tranny)… I did mine at 100K….
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:48 PM   #17
AlbertaCanada
Rep

Thanks,

I've done that already before I got to 100k .

I will have to do research on used BMWs with brand new engines.
Appreciate 0