XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-17-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
Westies
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M sport

Help! '12 X5 35d puked oil

hey all,

kind of in a situation and need some modified diesel owners' input. Please let me know if there is a more specific diesel sub forum this should be in- I couldn't find one.

Some irrelevant background info: Helping out a friend with his 35d that I convinced him to buy, which he did if I agreed to help him do the work on it. I have an X1 35i (N55, fairly modified) and VW mk4 ALH TDI (big turbo, injectors, etc) that I do most of the work on. We put on a malone stage 2 tune and it has been running great for the last 10k miles, except for the random code every now and then. Hasn't had any issues, holds boost, doesn't leak oil etc.

The problem: Recently we deleted the EGR cooler and valve, everything went smoothly. Installed race pipe, coolant line blanks, capped vacuum line for cooler, and hot side block off plate. Went to load the correct tune when he realized that the tune had a dpf delete, not egr. So after some reading (and my own experience deleting egr on my tdi) we flashed to the stock map for his drive home where he would load and flash the correct tune. We proceeded test drive it, got up to temp and everything ran great, no issues whatsoever. On the way home though at the end of his 25 minute (20ish mile) drive, he noticed smoke coming from the rear of the car. Turns out it had puked oil from somewhere near the turbos, and when going up the steep incline of his driveway, coated the rear of the engine, ran down the ENTIRE outside of the exhaust, all the way to the muffler and coated the entire underside of the vehicle. In all it threw up just over 2 liters of oil. Directly after, he flashed the correct map but didn't drive it. The following day after inspecting I noticed it has very high crankcase pressure, and is blowing smoke out of the filler cap if you open it at all while running (same with breather hose), however it no longer seems to be leaking oil at all, and runs fine with no codes.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?? It looks like it could have leaked from one of the turbo oil lines- it's definitely from the turbo side. There is quite a bit of seepage around the crankcase valve at the back of the valve cover, so I'm assuming it has failed, but I can't imagine this would cause a turbo line, or a turbo for the matter, to blow a seal. I have searched all the forums, and I'm at a loss.

My apologies for the novel, any and all input is really appreciated, thanks everyone.

Last edited by Westies; 09-17-2023 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Valve cover gasket