XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-26-2022, 08:51 AM   #1
BoilerMakerATX
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, F90 COMP

Smile DIY: Battery Replacement and Registration

Hello guys,

I started having "increased battery discharge" message recently and I was worried that it was due to the CarPlay module I installed. Did some digging and it turned out my battery is original (2012) and definitely needed replacement. I checked alternator voltage via the cluster and it hovered around 14v even with all light and electronics on. I think that is good enough voltage to keep battery charged but probably would be ideal if it hovered around 14.5v.

Anyways, dealership in Austin wanted $560 to replace the battery! And even if I purchase the battery separately and install it myself, they still want $195 to program and register the battery! Damn thieves... how can they get away with this lol. Anyways, I did some research and seems like Walmart battery does very well in cold weather! (Farm Project YouTube Channel compared batteries). So I bought an H8 EverStart with 900CCA and 95Amp/Hr ($165 + $35 for BimmerLink) which was almost identical with my original one except that one had 90Amp/Hr on the label. In this case, coding is not required but battery registration is.

In this video I show battery replacement process and registration using BimmerLink app. I also show some features on the BimmerLink app... my car is a 2012 X5 35D with 125k mile.

Any questions, shoot!

Cheers

https://youtu.be/i1rpGywx03k
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
X535dee
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

That's awesome. Thanks for that. I don't have the need of a new battery but I'm glad your posting this to help out here out as there is not too many vidz online for our specific model X5!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #3
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Just a quick note to add since my battery is going out now. Last week my alarm began randomly going off after about 3 hours of sitting locked. This week I get the discharge error. I switched my P3 vent gauge to Voltage and sure enough when I turned off the car Voltage immediately dropped from 14.2 with the alternator to 11.6V at off. Trickle charged it overnight and it only maxed out at around 11.8V. I believe when you get in the 10's it'll be iffy to start. So replacing soon…but at least it gave me some warning and didn't leave me stranded. I last replaced it in Dec.2017.
      11-07-2022, 10:09 AM   #4
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerMakerATX View Post
Hello guys,

I started having "increased battery discharge" message recently and I was worried that it was due to the CarPlay module I installed. Did some digging and it turned out my battery is original (2012) and definitely needed replacement. I checked alternator voltage via the cluster and it hovered around 14v even with all light and electronics on. I think that is good enough voltage to keep battery charged but probably would be ideal if it hovered around 14.5v.

Anyways, dealership in Austin wanted $560 to replace the battery! And even if I purchase the battery separately and install it myself, they still want $195 to program and register the battery! Damn thieves... how can they get away with this lol. Anyways, I did some research and seems like Walmart battery does very well in cold weather! (Farm Project YouTube Channel compared batteries). So I bought an H8 EverStart with 900CCA and 95Amp/Hr ($165 + $35 for BimmerLink) which was almost identical with my original one except that one had 90Amp/Hr on the label. In this case, coding is not required but battery registration is.

In this video I show battery replacement process and registration using BimmerLink app. I also show some features on the BimmerLink app... my car is a 2012 X5 35D with 125k mile.

Any questions, shoot!

Cheers

Whats this registration of the battery you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 05:48 PM   #5
Tillman
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i (2012 E70)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movado750 View Post
Whats this registration of the battery you speak of?
The new one needs to be coded to the car.
If I recall correctly, that can be avoided by buying a new battery with the exact same specs as the old.

If that's not possible, a scan tool like the Foxwell NT510 elite can register it.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #6
TonyBologna
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
2012 BMW X5M  [0.00]
There's registration and then coding.

Registration tells the car you changed the battery so the alternator knows and doesn't over charge or incorrectly charge the new one.

Coding is if the new battery you're putting in is significantly different than the original/old one. For instance my old battery was 92AH and my new one was 95AH. No coding was required, just registration.
Appreciate 2
TTV8M122.50
      08-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Resurrecting this very helpful forum.

So I used the "Car Scanner" app on my iPhone and got OBD2 voltage readings in the mid-11 range before firing up the car. The battery's date stamp is 2018, 39th week. During the winters, I've been getting regular excess drain warnings at startup, but that may have been because of a dash cam plugged into the OBD2 port. Guess my question is whether I should proactively replace at this point.

I'd go for the same Walmart battery noted here. Do people know if the Car Scanner app can be used to register the battery? Or do you have to use BimmerLink?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 02:23 PM   #8
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak2024 View Post
Resurrecting this very helpful forum.

So I used the "Car Scanner" app on my iPhone and got OBD2 voltage readings in the mid-11 range before firing up the car. The battery's date stamp is 2018, 39th week. During the winters, I've been getting regular excess drain warnings at startup, but that may have been because of a dash cam plugged into the OBD2 port. Guess my question is whether I should proactively replace at this point.

I'd go for the same Walmart battery noted here. Do people know if the Car Scanner app can be used to register the battery? Or do you have to use BimmerLink?

Thanks.
you need to use bimmerlink or code to do the reg and coding. its cheap, the OBD adapter and you can do it for all your friends in your area.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:24 AM   #9
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyStyle View Post
you need to use bimmerlink or code to do the reg and coding. its cheap, the OBD adapter and you can do it for all your friends in your area.
Thanks. I already have purchased BimmerCode (vs. Link). So that can do the registration?

On a related matter, the OEM battery I have is 92 Amp Hours and 850 CCA. The replacement I'm looking at is 95 Amp Hours and 900 CCA. I think I have seen someone say that's close enough to not re-code (but just re-register). Is it correct I'd only need to do the registration with this replacement?
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
nuwde
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerMakerATX View Post
Hello guys,

Any questions, shoot!

Cheers

Just wanted to ask if you can give us an update on the battery after a year. Thanks!
Appreciate 0