XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-20-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Euro rear lights vs.North Am. rear lights.

I prefer the euro version rear lite cluster w/ yellow turn signals & red braking/parking rather then N.Am. w/everything red. Cars made in euro come to North Am. w/ yellow turn signals, we should be able to specify our choice on our options order.
Just as euro H4 headlites look better & more efficient then sealed beams.

Anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Good luck with that.

I had inquired about some of the options available in Germany. The answer I got was 'Sorry, those options are NOT available for the north American market'.

Check out www.bmw.de and go to the X6 Konfigurator page, the selection of options is huge. Now compare that with waht we get here and it's a joke. First of all everything is preselected in 'packages' for you, so you can't pick and chooses the individual options you REALLY want or drop those you don't like but even worse, options that are actually available on the X6 are not 'available' for the Canadian market... It REALLY sucks if you ask me!

The odd part about this is that the car is assembled/build in the US and shipped to Germany, so why can't we get the same treatment here?
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Any pics comparing two?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Euro vs N.Am options

When i ordered mine @ the Canadian debut, sales people didn't even know what options are available in canada.
Confusion between us/canadian website reigned supreme.
For me, Worldwide Marketing dept. for BMW x6 is not coordinated well when it came to the most important 12", the order contract.
Wonder if their "Individual" program would be any better.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
When i ordered mine @ the Canadian debut, sales people didn't even know what options are available in canada.
Confusion between us/canadian website reigned supreme.
For me, Worldwide Marketing dept. for BMW x6 is not coordinated well when it came to the most important 12", the order contract.
Wonder if their "Individual" program would be any better.
Not really. I added some additional options to the car that are not part of the options listed in the Canadian brochure of the car. I had also asked to get some options of the individual line. The answer to that was that I would need to take 'all' of the individual options and not just one or two. That really ticked me off.

I wanted the individual leather option for the seats, but NOT the steering wheel with the wood inlays. I prefer the standard steering wheel with the heated option (the individual steering wheels are NOT heated!). I also wanted the aluminum trim instead of the shadow line trim. Again, they told me that I can't do this unless I get 'all' of the individual options... It's their 'everything has to come in a package' mentality that really bugs me. I mean every option has to be specified for production anyway. Even if they specify a package, the package still specifies every single item...

So WHY can't they just let us choose what we want (e.g. same as available to Germany)???
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Where did you get the information that the European break light cluster is different from the north American one?

I compared the two in the parts database. They do have different part numbers, however they both have a total of 3 bulbs. One bulb for the break/turn indicator, one for the additional break light (break force display and is actually located in the part that is mounted in the trunk lid) and one for the reverse light (see below).

Even if you look at pictures from the X6 sold in Europe and compare these to the North American market ones, they look the same....

Part number for the European market:
Left Tail Light: 63 21 7 179 983
Right Tail Light: 63 21 7 179 984

Part number for the North American market:
Left Tail Light: 63 21 7 179 985
Right Tail Light: 63 21 7 179 986

Name:  X6 Break Light Left.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  220.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I have seen a few pics here of some X6's in the middle east that looked like they had yellow turn signals but could not really tell.
xdrive agree on the option thing just sucks, they're all made at the same plant going down the same line,should not be that big a deal to allow folks to order what they want.

Last edited by dmlgc; 02-05-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
CyberDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS

Quote:
I prefer the euro version rear lite cluster w/ yellow turn signals & red braking/parking rather then N.Am. w/everything red. Cars made in euro come to North Am. w/ yellow turn signals, we should be able to specify our choice on our options order.
Just as euro H4 headlites look better & more efficient then sealed beams.

Anyone has any thoughts or knowledge on this subject.
If interested, here's a company that sells the Euro rear lights with amber blinkers in the brake lights. They also sell the front Euro clear side marker reflectors. I purchased some items from them a while ago and got them in a few days but then their only a few miles away from me.

http://roveractive.biz/index.php

Here's a Pic of the Euro rear lights posted by Palbay. Checkout the third picture.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122485
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 09:51 PM   #9
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Good luck with that.

I had inquired about some of the options available in Germany. The answer I got was 'Sorry, those options are NOT available for the north American market'.

Check out www.bmw.de and go to the X6 Konfigurator page, the selection of options is huge. Now compare that with waht we get here and it's a joke. First of all everything is preselected in 'packages' for you, so you can't pick and chooses the individual options you REALLY want or drop those you don't like but even worse, options that are actually available on the X6 are not 'available' for the Canadian market... It REALLY sucks if you ask me!

The odd part about this is that the car is assembled/build in the US and shipped to Germany, so why can't we get the same treatment here?
Hey, the issue is that Europeans don't dig "packages". .they are more picky when about what options, if I really need it or not. . . It's maybe the custom in Europe to spend much more time and effort and knowledge, on selecting options. It's not about how much more money you can unload for extra options or not. . .or is it?! But it's normal for Europe to allow customers to hand pick extra options. In America where most car offered for decades. . where only in "fully loaded mode" you cannot bring up "hand picking options system". .or maybe now, especially now, it's the time. .

I don't know, it's maybe the European culture,.. .we are not that obsessed with saving time on a daily basis to do 1 milion chores per day. We take more time to analyze what's best for us, and don't trust the marketing gimmicks of the dealers and swallow automatically their "packages" . . Oh, and btw, ,lunch break in Europe is one hour. . glass of wine included, in selected areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

This foto from motor trend ( also have seen it on other sites), probably supplied by bmw north am. shows some fiber optic (?) horizontal elements that appear yellow.
Any ideas anyone?

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall.../photo_06.html
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This foto from motor trend ( also have seen it on other sites), probably supplied by bmw north am. shows some fiber optic (?) horizontal elements that appear yellow.
Any ideas anyone?

http://www.motortrend.com/photo_gall.../photo_06.html
I believe those are the original press/promotional photos that BMW released of the X6.
Appreciate 0