XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

Want to upgrade my 50i airbox

I've scoured the interwebs and all i can seem to find is Dinans $$$ upgrade which I cannot justify.

I live in FL so my engine compartment temps are crazy and I'm looking for ways to provide my turbos with cool air rather than hot air.

I'm up for ditching the airboxes if there is a solution for the MAF sensors etc

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:15 AM   #2
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

The problem is heat soak which is from poor circulation of air in the engine compartment. Changing your air box isn't going to do much In that regard. Really the only thing you can do aside from driving without a lower engine cover (which I wouldn't recommend) is to get a ventilated good.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
The problem is heat soak which is from poor circulation of air in the engine compartment. Changing your air box isn't going to do much In that regard. Really the only thing you can do aside from driving without a lower engine cover (which I wouldn't recommend) is to get a ventilated good.
The heat soak is a massive concern of mine and I do run without the engine cover which I'm fine with. Ive done this on pretty much every car I've modifying - I plan to mod my 50i and I'm just trying to improve on reliability and performance.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, I want to ditch the air boxes for the above reason and run straight pipes to the front with a filter but I'm not familar with the BMW MAF setup. I'm guessing I'm going to see a CEL if i reduce the air box capacity to 0?

I'm not unfamiliar to modifying but I'm not familiar to the BMW tech, I come from a VAG background and fast Japanese classics. Anyway any technical input or any hidden threads would be much appreciated as I cannot find anything.

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I can tell you right now that most intake modifications on BMWs result in very minimal gains. Typically the most popular among the newer generation BMWs is utilizing a BMC filter and adding air intake scoops. I had this setup on my M5 and it worked great while retaining the stock airboxes. Again, minimal gains but a good option if you are inclined to modify. One thing to keep in mind, metal is a better conductor for heat vs plastic, so changing the intake to say an aluminum tube style could quite possibly increase you air intake temps in certain conditions. Just think about taking your X5 out for a drive around town for 30min then opening the hood and having to touch a plastic intake vs metal.
Appreciate 0