XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
nks_bb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90M ZCP

X5 vs Cayenne

Any X5 drivers out there who considered the Porsche Cayenne as well? My lease is coming up and these two cars are at the top of my list that I am considering.

What made you get the X5 over the Cayenne?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
I own a 2006 Cayenne S and a 2012 X5M.

Here is my $0.02, the Cayenne feels a lot more nimble still retains somewhat of the 911 sports car blood line, whereas the X5 feels more like a SUV.

The transmission gear ratio allows the Cayenne to take off very fast off the line, makes you feel the car is lighter but it's not.

No question with the handling, handles equally well like my X5M.

Porsche transmission is more predictable, the button shifter on the steering wheel reacts faster than the X5's paddle shifter on both up shift and down shift.

Gas mileage is about the same.

My wife drove both and prefers the X5M, well no shit I don't blame her.

Porsche is extremely cheap with the added option, everything is a la cart. Whereas the BMW have a lot of standard features. So ergonomics I would have to go with BMW, easier to fold the rear seat. However the Cayenne does offer more trunk space, BMW sacrificed the truck space to allow more rear passenger leg room.

No point talk about engine performance since they are not in the same category. But the Porsche V8 is not as smooth as BMW's V8.

Personally I think the X5 looks better, still can't get used to looking at a Porsche in a SUV form.

We've been discussing selling the Cayenne, keeping the X5M. The Cayenne is just parked not being used, since my wife only drive the Prius now and loves it. (She hates to go to the gas station)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I came from a 3 Porsche household and now own an M3 convertible as well as the 2010X5M.
I opted for the BMW over the Porsche because of the cabin space, proper paddle shifters and more trunk space. BMW also looks much more aggressive-you can spot the M version easily, but try identifying the turbo Cayenne over a base model and it becomes more difficult. The M is also a bargain compared to the Porsche-you'll be hard pressed to price out the M at over 105k, but the similar Cayenne turbo I priced out was about 45k more. I did prefer the rear seats of the Porsche, but thats not where I spend my time so it is a minor issue.
      03-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Phipsibear42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Garage List
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
I came from a 3 Porsche household and now own an M3 convertible as well as the 2010X5M.
I opted for the BMW over the Porsche because of the cabin space, proper paddle shifters and more trunk space. BMW also looks much more aggressive-you can spot the M version easily, but try identifying the turbo Cayenne over a base model and it becomes more difficult. The M is also a bargain compared to the Porsche-you'll be hard pressed to price out the M at over 105k, but the similar Cayenne turbo I priced out was about 45k more. I did prefer the rear seats of the Porsche, but thats not where I spend my time so it is a minor issue.
Love my ///M's
      03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks_bb View Post
Any X5 drivers out there who considered the Porsche Cayenne as well? My lease is coming up and these two cars are at the top of my list that I am considering.

What made you get the X5 over the Cayenne?
The only Cayenne model I considered was the GTS. It's probably the best looking, but it wasn't available at the time I purchased my X5 and it was $35-40k more (rather have an X5M for that price). The other models, except for the Turbo (S), don't look very manly. Too many curves for my taste. When I see a Cayenne (non-GTS/Turbo (s)), I think of a chick's car.

Overall, I really like my X5 35i SAV. It looks agressive, sporty, and it's very practical. I haul large LCDs, 2x4s, and boxes around. The Caynnes are smaller and lower, compared to the X5.
Appreciate 0