XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Akmal112
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i, 2013 BMW X5 3

Bluetooth and USB not working

I recently purchased a 2013 X5 35i and the Bluetooth is greyed out and is stuck on please wait, also when I plug in my phone to the USB it gives power but doesn't read data. Nor does the aux work. The CD works and radio does it gives audio but no Bluetooth or USB functions. What could the issue possibly please let me know
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys

You probably have a problem with the combox that manages bluetooth. Look for my other posts about the same problem. I am afraid I am not able to tell you how to fix it but another member responded saying they had a spare combox. You might want to get that from them and swap out the comboxes to see if that fixes your problem. Removing the combox is easy. It is in the rear. You have two small panels in the rear that have cut out handles. On the right (looking from rear of car) you will find a panel and when you pop it out you will find the fuses. Whilst you are here, check the fuses for bluetooth. There is a card tucked in the fuse box section that shows you the fuses (x2) to check. Both are 5amp. Replace them first to see if that makes a difference. So, to get to the combox, you remove the panel on the opposite side (left looking from rear of car) and you will see the combox. To get at it is quite easy. You will need to remove the panel retainers for the panel that covers wheel arch to back seats area. Take your time and it will be obvious where the poppers are. Don't pull them (except for top one). With the others get a screw driver head under the circle and ease the head up. Once you have one out you will see how they work. You will not need to remove the panel completely as once the panel poppers are out, drop the back seat and you can raise the panel towards the roof pivoting at rear seat end and then you can easily access the combox. Be careful with the connectors for the combox when disconnecting. Every connection has a different connector! One end has half biscuit (cookie to you) shaped connector with a slider that lifts it out as you move the slider back over the arch. But there is a raised nipple thing you need to press down first. The other connector is fibre optic and you just push on one side to get it out. At other end there are three more connectors. These also have 'lugs' that hold the connectors on. Take time to work them out and you will find that these connectors also come of easy, once you have depressed the retaining lug. Good luck and check my other post here on X5 forum to see who offered me the new combox, should you need it.
      03-13-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I agree with the first person to post a response. It's likely a failing combos causing the issue. You can buy one used or a new one. Either way it will need to be coded to the car. It will likely have limited functionality if you don't. I have a spare combox in garage if you want it. Send me a PM if you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I am adding this in case it is of any help. My fault, which is the same as yours, may be intermittent. I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. But what I may have found out (still not proved this yet) is that when you unlock the car (but have not yet inserted the key) that some connection is made to the combox. I am thinking that if it is not there (because I had taken it out and now want to reinstall it) the communication to the CIC is no response from bluetooth so it now believes you do not have a combox/bluetooth. So, when I then reinstall the combox, once again, I do not have bluetooth, just 'please wait' message on screen.
What I have just done is; locked the car and came back 2 or more hours later and bluetooth is now working. So I am thinking that I needed the car to properly power down and then properly power back up to discover the combox I had reinstalled.
This is just speculation at the moment as it may be that I do have an intermittent problem with the combox and next time I start the car or may be 20 miles down the road I will lose bluetooth again.
I will provide an update when I know for sure.
By the way, the AUX front usb is connected to the combox which is why it is also not working as once you lose the combox you lose bluetooth and the aux USB.
Good luck.
      03-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
Akmal112
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
I am adding this in case it is of any help. My fault, which is the same as yours, may be intermittent. I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. But what I may have found out (still not proved this yet) is that when you unlock the car (but have not yet inserted the key) that some connection is made to the combox. I am thinking that if it is not there (because I had taken it out and now want to reinstall it) the communication to the CIC is no response from bluetooth so it now believes you do not have a combox/bluetooth. So, when I then reinstall the combox, once again, I do not have bluetooth, just 'please wait' message on screen.
What I have just done is; locked the car and came back 2 or more hours later and bluetooth is now working. So I am thinking that I needed the car to properly power down and then properly power back up to discover the combox I had reinstalled.
This is just speculation at the moment as it may be that I do have an intermittent problem with the combox and next time I start the car or may be 20 miles down the road I will lose bluetooth again.
By the way, the AUX front usb is connected to the combox which is why it is also not working as once you lose the combox you lose bluetooth and the aux USB.
Good luck.
Thank you I will try, but if I install a combos from another vehicle do I need to code it to the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I do not know. But what I suspect is that if you get one that has the same firmware and software level as the on you have, then probably not. All that info is on the label on the side of the combox in your car and you will be able to check what ever second hand unit you buy for the same revision levels. But as I said at the beginning, I haven't done this so I could be wrong.
And I would also suggest that you check what you have connected to the USB aux in the vehicle and disconnect in case that is causing a problem. As mentioned before, do not expect unplugging anything from that usb to make any difference until after the car has been locked for a good time to let it close down properly before restarting.
Do it before you go to bed and see if it has made a difference the next day.
      03-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmal112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Good luck.
Thank you I will try, but if I install a combos from another vehicle do I need to code it to the car?
Comboxs are Vin specific. I had thought about upgraded the combox in my M3 to the 4g one and it would require coding from the dealer. Alex at Alpine Motorsports can code it for you at a reasonable price. He does it remotely so it's convenient for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
Akmal112
Canada
Rep

These are the modules I have in the driver side of the trunk I don't really know what's what expect for the big one being the amp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi. My X5 (2013) has the combox which means I have only one silver box whereas you have two, as per your pictures. Your first picture shows a smaller box with a pink connector and this is the bluetooth aerial and you can leave that alone. I believe that where you have two boxes you do not have extended bluetooth. What this does is allows you to play music from your phone using your bluetooth connection and also send album art to the CIC display unit. There are retrofit options and some good videos on youtube that show what you need to do if you want to replace your x2 boxes with one new/updated combox. You will need to code the new bluetooth features.
Good news is that you have found the right boxes for bluetooth and SOS.
      03-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #10
Akmal112
Canada
Rep

So what should I search for when buying this retrofit kit you mentioned because I'm not too familiar with the audio setup in this car
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

This video will give you an idea of what you need to do. It's not an X5 but I think the process is the same.