XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

View Poll Results: C350, 3.0 Gas, or 35d?
Keep the C350. Why would you want a 100k+ vehicle? 1 11.11%
Get the 3.0 gas. You can't afford the things you need to do on the diesel. 1 11.11%
Get the 35d. You can get away without spending much at first and upgrade later when you can. 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

02-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Ottopotamus
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Looking for feedback on a "new" E70 (3.0 vs 35d)

First time post (sorry so long)...

The information you can gain on these forums, explaining issues, fixes and DIY info is fantastic. I really appreciate all that contribute. I typically work on my own vehicles, so given the time, I feel good about doing things myself. I'm here for feedback/opinions/advice.

I'm currently driving a 2008 Mercedes C350 with 33k miles and nothing wrong with it. My brain tells me I should just keep it but it doesn't have the "connection to the road" steering feel of my former 2003 X5 3.0 that I loved. I also want something with AWD/4WD that can tow a fishing boat (another future purchase).

I feel the E70 would best fit my desires since the F15 appears to have a numb steering feel (from what I've read). It also better fits my budget (<$15k).

The first thing I would like confirmation about is the transmission. When I had my E53, it seemed that transmission issues would occur around 100k miles (likely due to the "lifetime" fill). From what I've read, most of the transmission issues are resolved with a transmission service kit (fluid, filter, pan) and solenoids (when required). If that can be confirmed, I would feel much better since most of the vehicles I'm finding are over 100k miles.

Within the E70 models, I've narrowed my choices to a 3.0 gas and the diesel. I've put the pros and cons as I see them below, along with some concerns.

Gas:
  • Cheaper to maintain
  • Less issues
  • MPG not great
  • Not as much power (esp when towing)
Gas Concerns: What other concerns should I have?

Diesel:
  • Good MPG
  • Powerful with the ability to tune for even more
  • Would enjoy seeing the changes I could do
  • Fuel is not as convenient to find
  • More issues
  • Never worked on a diesel (learning curve)
Diesel Concerns:
  • CBU:
    I've read that this is not as much of an issue on the E70, but would like confirmation.
    I've also read that short commutes are not good for the diesel. My typical commute is 30-45 mins depending upon traffic, but less than 10 miles. I will take longer trips, but it's usually only once a week at the most (to go fishing).
    I would not be afraid of the CBU cleaning process but wouldn't want it to be an annual maintenance.
  • Emissions: I understand this is where the majority of issues are and would be ok with EGR delete. I would possibly be willing to do the entire delete but my concern is passing Oregon DEQ (OBD2 test)
  • Are there other areas I should be concerned?

I'm currently leaning towards the diesel, but would probably not be able to afford to do much to it initially. It will be a hard enough sell to the wife to get rid of a 33k mile car with no problems for one with >100k and then immediately want to spend more on it.

Your feedback/comments to address my concerns and opinions on which I should get will be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

I LOVE my 35d x5.... Its a little pricey to get it sorted and deleted, but Its well worth it for fuel economy and power.

I'd go drive all of your options, so you can make your own opinions and Pros/Cons.
      02-11-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Gas vs Diesel when it comes to maintenance is about the same. Valve cover, fluids, filters, suspension pieces, etc etc. I would argue it isn't relatively cheaper to maintain a gas over the diesel. The money factor comes in when we do full deletes on the diesels, right off the bat that's at least $1500-$2000+. Money well spent from the general consensus.

For what its worth, I have had my diesel for about 30k miles and i'm about to hit 120k. Ive had my nox sensor replaced as well as the DEF tank under warranty. I am not even deleted yet and love my 35D. I have all the components ready for a delete when I decide, but honestly just have been enjoying the E70 as is. I am on a stage 1 tune, you could look into that as well.

A few of my buddies have bought the 35i (not the 30i you mentioned) versions and they love them too. I've driven to compare and I prefer my M57'd E70. That initial "oomph" is what has me sold.

I say test drive both and get the one with the most options and feels better to you.

I will add to make sure the engine bay partitions (on either) are there and in good condition. That's $500-$600 at the dealer PLUS an injector or two if you get water in there.

You will find people on either side of this arguing one is better or worse than the other. Some E70 owners get plagued with issues and blame the car. Make sure whatever you buy wasn't neglected.

The 30i might be the "safest" bet, but again you still can end up with a neglected E70 and end up in the same spot.

Last edited by Nyc Dito; 02-11-2021 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
RL18273.50
      02-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

I loved my m57 powered 335d so much that I actually bought an m57 powered x5.

The bad issues are pretty subjective. Some people don't maintain their diesel as they should or cut corners. You can't do that with these or any diesel for that matter. There are some fairly common issues, which every modern diesel with emissions equipment is plagued by, but with deletes you get rid of a lot of common issues. From there you just deal with common e70 issues/bmw issues.

As far as my e70 goes, I learned from having my 335d. When I got my x5 I immediately did an oil change, oil filter, fuel filter change and starting using my additives. Tuned the transmission with xhp and also did xdelete (I run in sport mode). Got rid of the factory intake system and made a custom setup. From there I also completely refreshed/upgraded the vacuum system, all EUVs, all pressure converters. I deleted the egr cooler with a egr race pipe and deleted the swirl flaps. I also changed the water pump, thermostat, Harmonic dampener, and changed the belts. Serviced the transmission.

I bought my x5d at 89k and now I'm all 111k and it runs awesome. Plenty of power. Very comfortable. Great fuel mileage. And easily my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and it's not even deleted yet
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Ottopotamus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
Gas vs Diesel when it comes to maintenance is about the same. Valve cover, fluids, filters, suspension pieces, etc etc. I would argue it isn't relatively cheaper to maintain a gas over the diesel. The money factor comes in when we do full deletes on the diesels, right off the bat that's at least $1500-$2000+. Money well spent from the general consensus.

For what its worth, I have had my diesel for about 30k miles and i'm about to hit 120k. Ive had my nox sensor replaced as well as the DEF tank under warranty. I am not even deleted yet and love my 35D. I have all the components ready for a delete when I decide, but honestly just have been enjoying the E70 as is. I am on a stage 1 tune, you could look into that as well.

I will add to make sure the engine bay partitions (on either) are there and in good condition. That's $500-$600 at the dealer PLUS an injector or two if you get water in there.
Since I've never had a diesel, I have to learn. I was expecting the emissions items to be something that I would have to maintain/repair until a delete was done. It sounds like you had a couple of those issues, but it was under warranty at the time.

I was not aware the engine bay partitions were a potential issue. That's great to know!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
Ottopotamus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL18 View Post
I loved my m57 powered 335d so much that I actually bought an m57 powered x5.

The bad issues are pretty subjective. Some people don't maintain their diesel as they should or cut corners. You can't do that with these or any diesel for that matter. There are some fairly common issues, which every modern diesel with emissions equipment is plagued by, but with deletes you get rid of a lot of common issues. From there you just deal with common e70 issues/bmw issues.

As far as my e70 goes, I learned from having my 335d. When I got my x5 I immediately did an oil change, oil filter, fuel filter change and starting using my additives. Tuned the transmission with xhp and also did xdelete (I run in sport mode). Got rid of the factory intake system and made a custom setup. From there I also completely refreshed/upgraded the vacuum system, all EUVs, all pressure converters. I deleted the egr cooler with a egr race pipe and deleted the swirl flaps. I also changed the water pump, thermostat, Harmonic dampener, and changed the belts. Serviced the transmission.

I bought my x5d at 89k and now I'm all 111k and it runs awesome. Plenty of power. Very comfortable. Great fuel mileage. And easily my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and it's not even deleted yet
I got 'sidetracked' reading about your 335d while I was looking at ucsbwsr's very impressive build thread. I had heard about tranny tunes but hadn't noticed xhp yet. Good to know for the future.

Maybe I'm confused, but are all of the mods you listed on the 335d (you say you haven't deleted the X5 yet)?

Is the Harmonic damper considered a common issue or was there a different reason why you replaced it?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Buy diesel only if you are long haul traveling salesman
Diesel is for diesel heads who like to tweak and tune for their ego.

In city driving, you will fcuk up the emissions control apparatus.

If there was no emissions control like a decade ago, I would plop for the diesels.

Now they are like a neutered tomcat.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #8
Ottopotamus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 MAN View Post
Buy diesel only if you are long haul traveling salesman
Diesel is for diesel heads who like to tweak and tune for their ego.

In city driving, you will fcuk up the emissions control apparatus.

If there was no emissions control like a decade ago, I would plop for the diesels.

Now they are like a neutered tomcat.
That is one of my concerns since I will mainly be doing city driving. I know the delete option is there, but I don't know if there is a way to pass Oregon DEQ if I do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 03:22 AM   #9
dang2407
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 E70 35D MSport

I know circumstances dont always allow it, but it is good to have 2 cars
The man-maths is quite easy...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #10
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottopotamus View Post
I got 'sidetracked' reading about your 335d while I was looking at ucsbwsr's very impressive build thread. I had heard about tranny tunes but hadn't noticed xhp yet. Good to know for the future.

Maybe I'm confused, but are all of the mods you listed on the 335d (you say you haven't deleted the X5 yet)?

Is the Harmonic damper considered a common issue or was there a different reason why you replaced it?
My x5 and 335d actually share a lot of the same mods. But my 335d has an upgraded intercooler and upgraded fuel pump. Those mods are on my x5d though.

The Harmonic dampener is very common. The rubber will dry rot and the inner part will separate and spin freely, not driving the belt system. I just replaced my x5s so I didn't get stranded like I did with my 335d when it's HD decided to die on me.
      02-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottopotamus View Post
That is one of my concerns since I will mainly be doing city driving. I know the delete option is there, but I don't know if there is a way to pass Oregon DEQ if I do that.
My car does about 80% city. And its only like a 3-5 mile commute, maybe the worst combination.

This is my first diesel and had NO idea about the love for them when i bought it. I bought it because it was the combo I liked at the time and THEN found out about all the things that could be done. I was not looking to get into a "newer" BMW, I prefer the older models. The test drive had me sold.

Like suggested, test drive both. You never know, you might become a "diesel head".

Whichever you decide to go with, take care of things before they happen. A lot of people dont like to spend money that way, but I'd rather do that then spend a day waiting for a tow truck and lose hours of my day. Preventative measures go a long way.
RL18273.50
      02-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #12
Ottopotamus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang2407 View Post
I know circumstances dont always allow it, but it is good to have 2 cars
The man-maths is quite easy...
I like your thinking but unfortunately, I won't be able to buy the X5 without selling the C350.

I actually have another car (2003 Kia Sedona) that I have been using for our fishing trips. It has an intermittent speedometer that has been causing a CEL, calling out the speed sensor. I have already replaced the input sensor (twice, 2nd time with a new connector) and the output sensor. At this point I suspect the wiring to the gauge cluster and will be tracing the wire from the speedometer next. I wouldn't even care about it, but it won't go past 3rd gear with this issue and the gas mileage was bad enough already. Resetting the code fixes it until the next CEL which could be as soon as the same day. Once this is resolved, I will feel more comfortable selling the C350 to buy the X5. I may still keep the Kia (not worth much), since it's kind of nice to have a beater at times and other than this issue is actually in pretty good shape.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
Ottopotamus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
My car does about 80% city. And its only like a 3-5 mile commute, maybe the worst combination.

This is my first diesel and had NO idea about the love for them when i bought it. I bought it because it was the combo I liked at the time and THEN found out about all the things that could be done. I was not looking to get into a "newer" BMW, I prefer the older models. The test drive had me sold.

Like suggested, test drive both. You never know, you might become a "diesel head".

Whichever you decide to go with, take care of things before they happen. A lot of people dont like to spend money that way, but I'd rather do that then spend a day waiting for a tow truck and lose hours of my day. Preventative measures go a long way.
Good to know you're getting by in the city with your diesel. I will drive both to be sure but that gives me more confidence with going diesel.

I definitely agree with preventative maintenance over waiting for it to fail. With a used car, I typically go with the assumption that if there are no records to back it up, it hasn't been done.
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      03-08-2021, 11:57 AM   #14
Leahfx5
Registered
Rep

Go Gas! I own a 2012 X5 35d and want to pull my hair out. Emission issues galore and once out of warranty the stealership knows one price . . .$5,000.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:49 PM   #15
T-Dubbs
Coal Troll
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahfx5 View Post
Go Gas! I own a 2012 X5 35d and want to pull my hair out. Emission issues galore and once out of warranty the stealership knows one price . . .$5,000.
LOL
alot cheaper to do deletes...
Nyc Dito112.50