XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
RPI exhaust for X5M, X6M

Been looking for an exhaust option - would love to do downpipes and a full exhaust, but all the manufacturers are telling me I won't pass a NY inspection with downpipes, even catted and with coding, so it looks like I am limited to an axel back system only.

I'm not a big fan of the Meghan exhaust. The Dinan exhaust doesn't make it move. I like the looks and sound of the Meisterschaft and Eisenmann, but not the price tag. Akro isn't for me, either.

I really like the looks and sound of the RPI exhaust, and it hits a nice mid point in price.

So - does anyone have one? How did you like it? where did you get it?

Any other options out there that I am missing?

Here's a pic of the RPI exhaust:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

I can't speak for the X5m, but I had the RPI exhaust on my M3 for a total of about 30 minutes.

It sounded great, but was drone city and I couldn't take it.
      03-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Can't comment on the x5m either, but I have one on my z4m...and it sounds awesome, throaty and has a bunch of burbles and pops when you release the throttle. Did you try searching YouTube for some videos?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
I can't speak for the X5m, but I had the RPI exhaust on my M3 for a total of about 30 minutes.

It sounded great, but was drone city and I couldn't take it.
Hmmm. Thanks for the input. That is concerning. Do you remember which model you had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Can't comment on the x5m either, but I have one on my z4m...and it sounds awesome, throaty and has a bunch of burbles and pops when you release the throttle. Did you try searching YouTube for some videos?
Thanks for your input. Any drone? Which model do you have on your Z4M? There appears to only be one model - the GTS - for the X5M. Not sure where that falls volume wise.

There are several videos on youtube - I really like the sound. There is also one taken from the interior, but all those videos are of limited value, other than giving you an idea of what they might sound like..

Here's a couple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMRcxQl56IU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XE1p34lM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR94wksoFHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soppIidQXFY

Last edited by upstate650; 03-04-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

My friend has the RPI on his X6M. It doesn't sound that great in all honesty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
My friend has the RPI on his X6M. It doesn't sound that great in all honesty.
Why not - what don't you like about it? does it sound like the videos I posted? Does your friend have any other exhaust mods other than the axelback? Any drone?

Exhaust preferences are pretty personal, but all input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Why not - what don't you like about it? does it sound like the videos I posted? Does your friend have any other exhaust mods other than the axelback? Any drone?

Exhaust preferences are pretty personal, but all input is appreciated.
I like exhausts that have a little bit of a "blurble". He valet driver pulled up his vehicle and it didn't sound all that much different from the stock exhaust. His X6M is heavily modified, but the exhaust is just like what you posted up.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I like exhausts that have a little bit of a "blurble". He valet driver pulled up his vehicle and it didn't sound all that much different from the stock exhaust. His X6M is heavily modified, but the exhaust is just like what you posted up.
Thanks for your impressions - so not much louder than stock at near idle? Have you ridden inside? Any drone? How does it sound when it is being pushed? Based on the videos, the exhaust seems to open up when it gets into higher RPMs.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions - so not much louder than stock at near idle? Have you ridden inside? Any drone? How does it sound when it is being pushed? Based on the videos, the exhaust seems to open up when it gets into higher RPMs.
Correct. But I have not yet ridden inside, so cannot give you any feedback in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #10
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct. But I have not yet ridden inside, so cannot give you any feedback in that regard.
Thanks - if its not too much trouble, would you mind asking your friend for his impression of it, and specifically about whether there is any drone?

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Be careful looking at vids online. The first two you posted aren't just the RPI exhaust but they are mated to TTR's headers which gives it a deeper rumble that isn't there with just the exhaust. That first vid is actually one of my favorite sounding setups on this car but sourcing the headers was too much work so I just decided to go with Dinan instead. P1ets's right when he says RPI sounds pretty close to stock, at least thats the impression I got when looking into it so I scratched that off my list immediately. What are you looking for in terms of sound (exotic, deeper rumble or just want the look of bigger tips)? I'd say eisenmann is the most exotic sounding, dinan is the deepest sounding and akra without dp's sounds marginally better than stock but is the best looking system IMO. I've heard quite a few setups for the M's in person and personally liked Dinan the most, I'm excited to hear my exhaust paired to some catless dp's this summer. Performance wise they are all the same and the stock exhaust is extremely efficient so you won't make any noticeable gains.

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

How about Gintani? Anyone ever heard one of these in person? I am also interested in a axle back for my M. Wondered if not having a big muffler like Gintani makes any difference in sound or drone?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Be careful looking at vids online. The first two you posted aren't just the RPI exhaust but they are mated to TTR's headers which gives it a deeper rumble that isn't there with just the exhaust. That first vid is actually one of my favorite sounding setups on this car but sourcing the headers was too much work so I just decided to go with Dinan instead. P1ets's right when he says RPI sounds pretty close to stock, at least thats the impression I got when looking into it so I scratched that off my list immediately. What are you looking for in terms of sound (exotic, deeper rumble or just want the look of bigger tips)? I'd say eisenmann is the most exotic sounding, dinan is the deepest sounding and akra without dp's sounds marginally better than stock but is the best looking system IMO. I've heard quite a few setups for the M's in person and personally liked Dinan the most, I'm excited to hear my exhaust paired to some catless dp's this summer. Performance wise they are all the same and the stock exhaust is extremely efficient so you won't make any noticeable gains.
That first one sounds amazing, doesn't it? That's what got me thinking RPI. Headers will certainly make a difference. Will have to look closer at that. I'm looking for a deeper rumble, not exotic, with the longer and larger tips. Not looking for race exhaust volume, but would like to turn it up a little. Not interested in Akra. Unfortunately, due to my location, I don't get to hear any of these in person - I am limited to soundclips on youtube, so people's personal experience is helpful.

Have you heard an RPI exhaust when the vehicle is opened up? I'm not at all opposed to an exhaust that is pretty mild near idle but wails when it is pushed!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #14
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

Quote:
That first one sounds amazing, doesn't it? That's what got me thinking RPI. Headers will certainly make a difference. Will have to look closer at that. I'm looking for a deeper rumble, not exotic, with the longer and larger tips. Not looking for race exhaust volume, but would like to turn it up a little. Not interested in Akra. Unfortunately, due to my location, I don't get to hear any of these in person - I am limited to soundclips on youtube, so people's personal experience is helpful.

Have you heard an RPI exhaust when the vehicle is opened up? I'm not at all opposed to an exhaust that is pretty mild near idle but wails when it is pushed!
Have you considered a Supersprint Sport/Street? I hear they're only about 10% louder than stock when just cruising around and only at WOT it "wails". I was going to install that specific exhaust before I pulled the trigger on an Akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #15
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:

Yeah those headers make it sound badass! Well based on your needs the RPI seems like it fits the bill pretty well. It sounds fairly good at WOT but I prefer the sound of Dinan all around to RPI. I'd also look into Dinan because I think you'll like the level of sound at idle (has a nice low rumble but doesn't sound tractor like which I found with a couple other systems) and at WOT it will def make you smile. Meisterschaft has a really nice valved system if you want the best of both worlds. it is pricey though but it did have a tone that I really liked. You can also build the system custom on their site to meet the level of sound you want. heres a vid:

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

just ask around you should be able to find someone who will fudge you a inspection.
i know someone with the meagan exhaust...its cheap and it sounded good
Appreciate 0