XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
Mr:X6
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35d '09

I have '09 X6 35d and have that same problem.. About 6 moths ago they changed the battery (plus navigation, stereos and heater) becouse the battery was discharging so many times. After that there were no problem but yesturday morning the same problem came back. Now the car is at the local dealer and I'm waiting for the information about what's wrong with it..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
DarienJim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 x6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr:X6 View Post
I have '09 X6 35d and have that same problem.. About 6 moths ago they changed the battery (plus navigation, stereos and heater) becouse the battery was discharging so many times. After that there were no problem but yesturday morning the same problem came back. Now the car is at the local dealer and I'm waiting for the information about what's wrong with it..
Are you engaged with them to buy it back? Do they know what is causing it? If so, do they think they can repair it. (My dealer has been unable to isolate the problem and they cannot fix it.)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #25
Chooky
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3 Rex

Yes it failed to start at the dealer when it was in getting a spoiler fitted
on the boot rim. They charged the battery overnight and it was fine for a
couple of months but that is the only time it actually failed to start. I'm going to make an effort to take it for a run every weekend to see if that helps. Cheers
Chooky
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #26
DarienJim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooky View Post
Yes it failed to start at the dealer when it was in getting a spoiler fitted
on the boot rim. They charged the battery overnight and it was fine for a
couple of months but that is the only time it actually failed to start. I'm going to make an effort to take it for a run every weekend to see if that helps. Cheers
Chooky
Mine seems worse in winter, better in summer, but the length of the trip driving it does not materially affect the ability for it to run down.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
Mr:X6
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35d '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarienJim View Post
Are you engaged with them to buy it back? Do they know what is causing it? If so, do they think they can repair it. (My dealer has been unable to isolate the problem and they cannot fix it.)
I think they have no idea about what causes all those problems. I got my car back today and they have just updated the software and recharged battery.. Waiting for the next time the problem comes back..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #28
DarienJim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well, I got a reasonable offer to take my x6 back and apply the credit to a new BMW so I am going to do that tomorrow. No more x6 for me. Absolutely loved the car but too much pain in the A$#. Now I have to figure out whether we get the new 550ix M or two x3's as we have so many drivers in the family.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #29
DrewBert
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M8 Gran Coupe Comp

i've been dealing with the exact same problem for over a year. Dealership says I need to drive more, but even afetr a 700km day. If the vehicle sits outside in the cold overnight. I have to set the time and date!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Here is the truth about BMW battery drain/discharge.

All modern BMW models, especially those with comfort access and iDrive, and upgraded 600watt sound systems utilize more power than the car's electrical system was designed for.

Even using the stereo with the engine off for 30-60 min can fully drain the battery.

When the car is off, power is still being used.

It does not take much to drain the battery.

What is the fix? There is not one. A trip to the dealer is merely a quick battery charge and a dealer playing dumb.

Until BMW designs a vehicle with less power requirements and better electrical systems, there will never be a fix.
      01-29-2011, 12:41 AM   #31
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

After finding out about the Brake Energy Regeneration, and the fact that the alternator has a clutch, and it is disengaged much of the time, I wonder how much that plays into this problem. I wonder if in the search for efficiency and mileage, they may not have the alternater engaged enough. This explains why they may try a software update to solve the problem. The update could possibly engage the alternator for more of the time. It seems to me that in different climates, there would need to be different variations in when the software engages the alternator.

Another problem is that in cold climates, the battery output drops with the drop in temperature. Out here in the warm climates I have not had any problem with the battery and I have used the sound system, talked on the phone, with the car off, and never had a problem.

One point I would like to raise is the Angel Eye swaps. If you increase the wattage and therefore the current draw on the system, does this now make you have trouble with the battery keeping a good charge? The way it sounds to me, the lights are run by the battery only, until you coast or use the brakes.

I think the BMW has a high output alternator, I think it may need to be turned by the engine more of the time! Go figure?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #32
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

I think the conclusion here is that the explanation that you have to "drive it more" is unacceptable. I don' believe that the owner's manual or any sales literature warns you about having to drive the car minimum distances, etc. It is simply unacceptable to pay almost $100k for a car that won't start in the morning.

Please do not roll over an accept their lame excuses. Escalate the issue, show them posts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #33
Kanuc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M Melbourne Red

Me too now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
I think the conclusion here is that the explanation that you have to "drive it more" is unacceptable. I don' believe that the owner's manual or any sales literature warns you about having to drive the car minimum distances, etc. It is simply unacceptable to pay almost $100k for a car that won't start in the morning.

Please do not roll over an accept their lame excuses. Escalate the issue, show them posts, etc.
Same happened today. Had to reset Clock. Going to dealer on Tuesday... to deal with other issues (rattles, vent fan motor whine noise), and now this... Prima Donna car...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #34
DarienJim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuc View Post
Same happened today. Had to reset Clock. Going to dealer on Tuesday... to deal with other issues (rattles, vent fan motor whine noise), and now this... Prima Donna car...
I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately it sounds like you need to aggressively pursue another option like I did. I just could not have a car that I was unsure would start in the morning. We ended up ordering two x3's which I hope will be a better option, although there is some chatter they are having massive problems with oil registers so I have my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #35
zaha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Thumbs up A FIX

A FIX

I have had my truck for over a year now and about 2 months ago I started to get the Battery Discharge Error. I called the fine people at BMW and was told that I should drive more. Sad that the service is not as good as the performance of this car! I put on about 15,000km on the truck annually but usually in short drives (10km) with a few long trips in between. So I figured that this ridiculous explanation does make some sense since the truck does not have enough time to charge up the battery especially since it has been cold in Toronto and I have the heat, heated seats, wheel, navi, and music on draining the battery.

So last week I bought an Advanced Battery Charging System from my local dealership, hooked it up to the truck over the weekend and since then not a single error message! I probably could have brought my car in for a charge for free but figured that spending $50 on a charger is cheaper than wasting my time waiting on the service crew.

Hope this helps some people.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 10:59 AM   #36
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

how does the system work?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
zaha
Private First Class
Rep

Smile

Basically there is a red clip and black clip.
You open the hood, attach the red clip to the + sign that is red and the black clip to the bolt that is used for the -

You plug this charging device into a wall socket and let it charge. It will turn green once done. Very easy to use but embarrassing that a $100,000 truck has to be plugged into a wall because engineering teams are too lazy to test if a standard battery is strong enough for a truck with toys that drain the battery excessively.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #38
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Have the same problem with our '09 X6 35d.... They also tried the "you don't drive the car enough" rubbish..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #39
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

That is a "Battery Tender" with a BMW logo on it. This is a great product and company with many variations to choose from.

http://batterytender.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #40
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Why should we have to continuously charge the car? Could have just bought an electric car if we wanted to keep plugging the thing in to charge... it's ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #41
zaha
Private First Class
Rep

Nah, you don't have to continuously charge it. I have charged it once so far a week ago with no issues at all. I am guessing once a month should be enough (hopefully). I will post an update if I get a new discharge error.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #42
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 M5

I charged mine over night with a charger, but anything lower than -20 makes the X6 act up. Today the comfort access wouldnt work. To me the battery is shot and recharging it is only a temp solution.
Anyone know if you can buy a good aftermarket battery and stick it in or will BMW find a way to void your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #43
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaha View Post
Nah, you don't have to continuously charge it. I have charged it once so far a week ago with no issues at all. I am guessing once a month should be enough (hopefully). I will post an update if I get a new discharge error.
Even so.. That's quite continuous to me
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #44
macznik
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

I recommend:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=61&fg=95&hl=2

BMW part-no. 61432153788
Attached Images

Last edited by macznik; 03-04-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0