XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

window tint can cause sunroof to crack.....really??

Tint guy with 29 years experience says getting your moonroof/sunroof tinted is a bad idea. He said heat will build up in the glass and maybe make it crack. He said on all other windows heat can escape through the sides but a sunroof is encased in a metal housing therefore holding the heat. When temps get too high, it may crack. Has anyone else heard of this, or has this happened to anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
JL350
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2.0D X4

Isn't it tinted already? If not then tint it, on our X1 it is tinted, same with all the windows except wind screen, and no issues. This is Australia where the temperature in summer can get pretty hot in the sun.

Temperture of the glass can be a lot hotter if it is dirty with grime or dust, but the tinting helps the temperature inside the car a lot in the hot weather.

Tinting makes all cars look better, but black interiors can be a bit glum and close feeling, x5 I drove was like that. We have black interior but the sunroof cover is always open and makes the interior light enough to not be oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobusa View Post
Tint guy with 29 years experience says getting your moonroof/sunroof tinted is a bad idea. He said heat will build up in the glass and maybe make it crack. He said on all other windows heat can escape through the sides but a sunroof is encased in a metal housing therefore holding the heat. When temps get too high, it may crack. Has anyone else heard of this, or has this happened to anyone?
Mine is already tinted from the factory. Tint it.
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Turbobusa
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsybert View Post
Mine is already tinted from the factory. Tint it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL350 View Post
Isn't it tinted already? If not then tint it, on our X1 it is tinted.
Mine has privacy glass from the factory also. I think you guys are missing the point. I want to put a clear film on the sunroof. (3M crystalline) This film is designed to only hold out heat. The roof is darkened already and holds out some heat but with the 3M applied, it will hold out about 60% more heat without making the roof any darker, which is exactly what I want. I want to open the shade, enjoy the sun without the heat. The tint guy is saying if I tint the roof, the heat will try to come in but the tint will reject it thus trapping the heat between the film and the glass and heating it. Normally the heat would escape on the sides of the glass but since this is a sunroof, it is encased in a metal frame. all this heats up and the glass will crack.

Last edited by Turbobusa; 06-14-2013 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
utmiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobusa View Post
This is correct. The moonroof is not "tinted" (film over glass). Like the rear windows it is privacy glass. It it were to shatter you would see the glass is the same color all the way through. Putting a film on it will increase your chances of it cracking due to heat accumulation as explained above. I have experience of it happening and it will not be covered under warranty.

That being said, I still tint my panorama sunroofs but never any darker than 35%. Tint guy has to give you that disclaimer because if it were to happen he can say he warned you. I know of some tint guys that will ask you to sign a waiver as to protect themselves in the event the moonroof cracks.
Appreciate 0