XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

12-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #45
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
100%.. i can kinda understand the obessesion if this isn't your daily driver; but i'm assuming the m3/m4 is the perfect daily driver

to spend hours and tens of thousands of dollars on paint protection and then to drive it outside at 70+ MPH in the elements seems crazy to me. I wash my cars regularly and just drive and enjoy. Those that go crazy over every little paint imperfection are setting themselves up for high blood pressure and disappointment. Its a f*cking car.. not a super car or anything.. drive it, enjoy it, and move on. And i'm sure those who are spending big money on PPF realize you'll get 0$ on trade in?
The industry has really taken off, and the business doesn't appear to be slowing down. Every day it seems there's a new "high end" detailing and PPF shop opening up, and the prices have risen pretty steadily over the past 5 years or so. Who can blame them when they're booked out for 2 months and people are bringing everything from Tesla Model 3s to Tacomas up there to get the full treatment? What used to be kind of a service reserved for collector-grade exotics and classic vehicles has now become very mainstream.

But I agree with you... if it is a car that you're going to drive regularly, wash regularly and expose to the elements often, then it is going to be very, very hard to keep things looking perfect all the time. It is definitely going to take a lot of care and attention to maintain, and it is unlikely that even 25% of the money invested will be recouped after a few years on the used car market.

I still am pretty OCD. I have a orbital polisher with several different pads and a cabinet full of detailing products. I use care when washing my car (two buckets, grit guards, etc), and dry it primarily with a leaf blower. But there's a limit to my obsession... and I think my car will still look above average whenever I go to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:06 AM   #46
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Post deleted to avoid further drama. Just assume that I agree with whatever you wrote or think.

I'm happy for the OP that he got a satisfactory resolution.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
Gfit2758.00
      12-22-2022, 11:05 AM   #47
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Post deleted to avoid further drama. Just assume that I agree with whatever you wrote or think.

I'm happy for the OP that he got a satisfactory resolution.
Haha. That’s funny. Agreed. We all have different opinions on what’s important and what to spend our money on. Can you imagine a world where we all agreed on everything? We would live in same state, have same house, go to vacation in same place, drive …. Well you get my point.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 03:56 PM   #48
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
Shouldn’t the ceramic protect from basic swirl marks? What the heck is the point if one wash beat the car up already?

Ceramic to me is the biggest scam out there. I did it once to my Porsche and never again. I still got plenty of swirl marks using the 2 bucket method, sheep skin wash mitts and electric blower to dry it. Now I PPF the entire car zero worries. I use Adams graphene spray for a nice shine and water just rolls right off. If I get a swirl just buff it out with my machine.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #49
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
Haha. That’s funny. Agreed. We all have different opinions on what’s important and what to spend our money on. Can you imagine a world where we all agreed on everything? We would live in same state, have same house, go to vacation in same place, drive …. Well you get my point.
As long as it's not California
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #50
RACE M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02 S2k, 04 Rx8, 22 M3P, 23 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
My experience is that ceramic does almost nothing. It certainly doesn't prevent swirl marks. "Ceramic" is a marketing term and the hardness ratings are based on pencil hardness. The stuff is useless. Just get PPF.
A+ marketing. It’s advertised as a hard coating to protect the clear coat. Doesn’t help with rock chips but I thought it would against swirls.

I’m glad I only did my wheels. Thanks for your he info!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #51
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACE M3 View Post
A+ marketing. It’s advertised as a hard coating to protect the clear coat. Doesn’t help with rock chips but I thought it would against swirls.

I’m glad I only did my wheels. Thanks for your he info!
I wouldnt say ceramic is useless,

It keeps your car hydro phobic, one easy way to tell is after it's light raining, all the water will bead up and sit on your hood, instead of running , your layer of ceramic is doing good job of keeping the water away from your coated surface

This makes cleaning alot easier and does provide protection
Appreciate 1
RACE M3550.00