XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-19-2024, 09:41 AM   #1
gadgetfreak2024
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2011 X5 50i M-Sp.

What I have DIYed on my E70 -- With Your Help!

I was not a do-it-yourself kind of person, nor did I grow up in a household that did it ourselves. Of course, this was in the pre-Internet and YouTube era, so the intelligence of how to tackle tasks had not been democratized. That being said, even with those informational tools, it's not like a 2011 X5 50i is a simple car to work on. But as the car aged and faced more issues -- and more bills -- I decided to try to learn. And people on this forum have been huge in giving the smarts and confidence to get stuff done. Inevitably, my efforts take longer than they should, but there is nothing better than the feeling of accomplishment in wrapping up a particular project!

Having finished my latest one yesterday (automatic tailgate strut replacement), I was reflecting on the list of things I have done on my own. And a few of the things I'd love to learn to do. Curious to hear what other non-car mechanic types have done on their own as well.

Here's my list of completed projects:
  • Oil changes
  • DRL lamp replacement
  • Headlight lamp replacement
  • Shattered fog lamp unit replacement (required bumper removal)
  • Mass air flow sensor cleaning
  • Air suspension airbag replacement x2
  • Front brake pad and rotor replacement
  • Rear brake pad replacement
  • Automatic liftgate strut replacement
  • CarPlay retrofit (usability game changer)
  • Grill replacement (pretty simple, I know)
  • Front and rear wiper replacement (simpler, I know)
  • Sticky interior door pull replacement
  • Battery replacement and registration

There are also a few things I'd love to learn and take on:
  • Spark plug and coil replacement (but understand access in the V8 is dauntingly hard?)
  • Sunroof maintenance -- we are scared to open it, since we're not sure it will close!
  • LED headlamp retrofitting (maybe?)
  • Brake fluid bleeding (this one feels doable)
  • General maintenance of underpanels that are falling off
  • Paint touchup / repair
  • Oil leak mitigation
  • Again, sure there are others...

Unfortunately, I've had to pay for plugs and coils and a steering fluid line leak. I have also twice had to pay to have the hood latch mechanism replaced (probably should have gotten it for free the second time, but oh well). I'm sure I'll eventually run out of know-how and willpower as the N63 continues to age. But in the meantime, I'll keep fighting the fight -- with this forum's help and advice!
Appreciate 3