XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-02-2022, 10:58 PM   #1
Steventh_X35d
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X35d

X35d E70 Died, no start

Report below is from a shop, I said no thanks after the 15k quote. I had it towed to my house. I have the intake manifold unbolted and will pull it in the morning and start cleaning out the soot factory with some oven cleaner and power washer.

I'm well aware of the issues the shop posted, I was only looking to have the diag done to give me a starting point. I was hoping they would tell me Yes, the HPFP is bad or maybe a sensor or valve. I have replaced the EGR years ago and all glow plugs and fuel filter maybe 1 year ago. Recently did the belts, pulleys and the Fluidampr harmonic balancer. I have also done the air compressor, and air shocks BTW, tunemyeuro is awesome.

My goal here is to find the best cable and software to use from experience users. I need to get it as soon as possible so maybe I order the cable and download the software to run my own diags. Thank you.

Job01 Diag the stalling Issue Labor: 4.00 hrs@$178.00/hr=$712.00
investigate vehicle inop and previous stalling issues. scan vehicle and found
0040e9 (DDE EGR position control)
00446c (DDE cylinder 6 injector activation)
00452a (DDE particulate filter system)
0047fe (DDE reducing agent meter valve activation)
004a14 (DDE cylinder 6 glow plug activation)
004b99 (DDE injectors activation bank 2)
004bbe (DDE cylinder 5 injector activation)
Live tested fuel system. found low pressure fuel pumps in the engine sporadically faulty.
Tested live pressure values and found fuel rail pressure low.
Recommend to start with high pressure fuel pump on the engine case, then move to low pressure fuel pumps if fuel rail pressures don't come up to spec.
Inspect various lines and systems in the engine bay. Found excessive carbon build up compounding issues. This vehicle should most likely start with all new glow plugs if not done recently and all new injectors or injection system cleaning.
Codes for EGR because of clogged carbon. Intake manifold will have to come out to clean and asses any new parts that need to be ordered.
Removing the intake manifold and surrounding systems that are brittle from age/mileage may make the issues worse and add to the parts list substantially.

Maybe someone will see this and tell me what they think it is. I do welcome any suggestions. Super appreciated

Last edited by Steventh_X35d; 11-03-2022 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:22 AM   #2
Steventh_X35d
Registered
Rep

E70 XDrive35d process pictures

Pic 1) inside TB to EGR Valve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #3
Herve-D-Limit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

I have Protools with an MHD wireless OBDII dongle and im happy. I can read codes and program features etc. It does more than I can handle lol

With the injector codes you have maybe worth taking out the injectors to inspect them and testing them with a multimeter.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #4
Steventh_X35d
Registered
Rep

Herve-D-Limit,

Thank you for the advice on taking out the injectors and testing them with a multi meter. I think I will try that. Since making this post, I removed the intake manifold and cleaned it with oven cleaner and liquid plumber, I cleaned the EGR valve and the throttle body.
I have not cleaned the soot buildup from top of the head openings. I don't want to drop that filth into the engine. I had to take some time away from working on it but I will start again soon. I got ISTA downloaded and have the DCAN cable to try when I get it back together.

I tried to attach videos but I had to take screenshots since I can't use videos.

The pictures are showing me using a garden hose with the metal end cut off to force into the manifold. Also showing some cleaning action and the EGR cleaned up. The best thing is the swirl flaps are really clean now and I hope that will make a difference.

Thank you for stopping by!

Steve
Attached Images

Appreciate 0