XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
retusn
Private
retusn's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X5M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Warrick County, IN

iTrader: (0)

Work out in the Snow

If the weather guessers are right we are in for a small Blizzard in SW Indiana. I put the snow tire set up on the X5M and will see how it does in 8 inches of snow. This area down here gets 1 or 2 inches and people don't know what to do. This will make an interesting drive to work tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
dhenry
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: illinois

iTrader: (0)

Snow tires

I had my winter wheels and tires installed early Dec and was in MN when they had 8+ inches of snow. Worked great no problems getting around.
I would recommend winter tires for anyone living in snow areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
CMH75
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 35d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

iTrader: (0)

19" Blizzaks (LM-60's) blasted through the snow on I90 from Erie, PA through upper NY state without a problem this past week. Lake effect blizzard was problematic for other cars/SUVs. X5 was rock solid. Very impressed.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
retusn
Private
retusn's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X5M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Warrick County, IN

iTrader: (0)

Had about 7 inches with lots of underlying slush this morning. Did very well getting through it all. Only problem were the drifts throwing snow up on the hood. White out conditions on the drive into work but the truck did great in the snow. Very happy with it. I think the X5 did better than our TBSS in the snow, don't want to tell the wife that though.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
wsybert
First Lieutenant
wsybert's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (13)

Got close to 4" in a hurry today. Running 19" Hankook I-Pikes. Awesome!

I bought the car this past Feb, and only had one snow day after I picked it up. The Dueler 20's were dangerous in the snow. Let it snow!
__________________
2014 JGC Summit 5.7
2009 M3 Vert (Fun in the sun)
2005 M3 Vert (Sold)
Too many more to list....
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Devimik
Enlisted Member
Devimik's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X5 35i Sports Activity
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, KS

iTrader: (0)

Got a few inches of snow, which followed rain, so under the snow was ice, in Kansas City last week. I was able to get my 20" Pirelli Winter Carving run flat snows on and they are excellent - spent last Thursday driving around on unsalted, unplowed streets with no worries - very stable and surefooted. Nice ride too, especially for snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Spaceballs's Avatar
1
Rep
174
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Un-Constitution State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by retusn View Post
Had about 7 inches with lots of underlying slush this morning. Did very well getting through it all. Only problem were the drifts throwing snow up on the hood. White out conditions on the drive into work but the truck did great in the snow. Very happy with it. I think the X5 did better than our TBSS in the snow, don't want to tell the wife that though.
Funny you would mention the TBSS, I traded in my '09 Saab Aero 9-7x (the Saab version of the TBSS) for my X5M. The Saab did well with the 275 45 20s Yokohama Paradas, but not as well as the X5M with Vredestein snows.
__________________
'10 Space Gray, Cinn Int.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
JNoSol
Major
JNoSol's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,083
Posts

 
Drives: F06 and F80
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devimik View Post
Got a few inches of snow, which followed rain, so under the snow was ice, in Kansas City last week. I was able to get my 20" Pirelli Winter Carving run flat snows on and they are excellent - spent last Thursday driving around on unsalted, unplowed streets with no worries - very stable and surefooted. Nice ride too, especially for snow tires.
Kansas City
My X5 Sport rolled around like a tank on Contis DWS non-RFT. I was very confortable on the Kansas 435/35 loop, solid ice. I looked at other SUVs in the rear view mirror, seeing them swirving at 50mph was hillarious. SUV with cheap tires = false confidence on snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Devimik
Enlisted Member
Devimik's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X5 35i Sports Activity
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, KS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Kansas City
My X5 Sport rolled around like a tank on Contis DWS non-RFT. I was very confortable on the Kansas 435/35 loop, solid ice. I looked at other SUVs in the rear view mirror, seeing them swirving at 50mph was hillarious. SUV with cheap tires = false confidence on snow.
Cool neighbor yeah, people think I'm crazy getting a separate set of snows, but good tires do make a huge difference. I especially didn't want my wife, or myself for that matter, driving on icy snowy roads on the Dunlop Sport Maxx summer rubber - I know that would suck. I once had a Z3 roadster with summer tires, the first winter I was here back in 2002 and almost killed myself driving to the airport where I35 turns left to get on 635 before the roads were plowed. Spun the car in circles and ended up 60 yards off the interstate in the grass - learned my lesson then.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
JNoSol
Major
JNoSol's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,083
Posts

 
Drives: F06 and F80
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devimik View Post
Cool neighbor yeah, people think I'm crazy getting a separate set of snows, but good tires do make a huge difference. I especially didn't want my wife, or myself for that matter, driving on icy snowy roads on the Dunlop Sport Maxx summer rubber - I know that would suck. I once had a Z3 roadster with summer tires, the first winter I was here back in 2002 and almost killed myself driving to the airport where I35 turns left to get on 635 before the roads were plowed. Spun the car in circles and ended up 60 yards off the interstate in the grass - learned my lesson then.
You should try Contis DWS for year round. I threw away my Duns after they balded after 15k miles. I believe you can get a ticket for being stuck, if you're running summer tires in Kansas so it's a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
GoHawks63
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

I posted the following in the other forum.


I mentioned on here before that our CPO 2011 Premium replaced our old faithful and trusty 2004 Land Cruiser that was a beast in bad weather. While the X5 and the Land Cruiser are meant to be different vehicles, we still were hoping for decent handling in the snow (otherwise would have bought a different kind of vehicle).

Well got a chance to test it out the other night. Halfway into our trip back last night from Chicago to southeast Michigan we drove right into that winter storm that has made it's way through the nation.

I of course have a healthy respect for winter driving and wasn't driving like an idiot as some of my other 4wd counterparts were (many of which I drove by as they were in a ditch).

The X5 was stable and surefooted through the snow-packed/icy roads through lower Michigan.

I was pretty pleased. It never felt "greasy" or squirrelly.
__________________
2011 X5 Premium (packages: Technology, Cold weather, Convenience & Comfort)
2012 Cadillac CTS Premium Coupe
2006 Mustang convertible
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 03:59 AM   #12
BimmerJeep
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 2007 3.0 Diesel
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iceland

iTrader: (0)

Blizzaks

I have Blizzaks on 18" wheels, its a snow monster hehe The traction control on this car is amazing, had 2 wheels off the ground and it just locked those wheels and power went to the 2 wheels on the ground/snow... amazing car.

Although my 41" Jeep Wrangler 1990 V8 is the winner
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST