XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

error

error

Last edited by tonypap; 04-05-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Michael_s
Private First Class
9

 
Michael_s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 991 C4S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NNJ


Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for this! I am about ready to pull the trigger on the ESS tune for my X5M and this put me over. I see you are in NJ, I may need some help as I tend to screw these things up..... Great review, I can feel your excitement.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
19

 
Drives: BMW X6M 2013
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brooklyn NY


Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

how many hp increase?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s View Post
Thanks for this! I am about ready to pull the trigger on the ESS tune for my X5M and this put me over. I see you are in NJ, I may need some help as I tend to screw these things up..... Great review, I can feel your excitement.
Absolutely! I'd love to. Let me know whatever you need.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
how many hp increase?
In the 40-50 range.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
3

 
m 135's Avatar
 
Drives: Gtr
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth,Australia.


Posts: 240
iTrader: (1)

Great review thanks,sounds very exciting,i have been looking at doing the ess tune as well,just waiting for some input such as yours.

I think i will contact Roman when i buy this tune,i need to know if the australian model X6 50i can take this same tune and if having a apple mac pc is a problem for downloads ?

Thanks again,keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
peso604
Fortuna Favet Fortibus
Canada
6

 
peso604's Avatar
 
Drives: x5m 2010, 2003 745i .
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: north america


Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m 135 View Post
Great review thanks,sounds very exciting,i have been looking at doing the ess tune as well,just waiting for some input such as yours.

I think i will contact Roman when i buy this tune,i need to know if the australian model X6 50i can take this same tune and if having a apple mac pc is a problem for downloads ?

Thanks again,keep us posted.
curious about having a MAC pc as well
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #8
donho
Private First Class
2

 
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dirty Jersey


Posts: 132
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_s View Post
Thanks for this! I am about ready to pull the trigger on the ESS tune for my X5M and this put me over. I see you are in NJ, I may need some help as I tend to screw these things up..... Great review, I can feel your excitement.
I did mine and love it.

MAKE sure you have a decent battery charger.
__________________
2011 BMW X5 M-SOLD
1/4mile blast
2009 Mercedes E63 AMG-SOLD
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peso604 View Post
curious about having a MAC pc as well
As far as I know the software requires a PC. Not sure if there is a MAC version available. Maybe Roman can answer this for us.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donho View Post
I did mine and love it.

MAKE sure you have a decent battery charger.


I did not use a battery charger. The instructions say the charger is only necessary if your battery is not at full. The upload/download +/- 30 minutes each. I don't think that having the dashboard switched on for 30 minutes should drain your battery.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
Michael_s
Private First Class
9

 
Michael_s's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 991 C4S
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NNJ


Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

I think I would need a battery charger. I recently had the windows tinted and a ding removed and the battery went flat both times and the car required a jump. My car sat for 90 days before I purchased and I think the battery is not 100% due to the time on the side line.

tonypap- sending you PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
Roman@ESS
164

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ


Posts: 2,653
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peso604 View Post
curious about having a MAC pc as well
Currently the interface is Windoes / PC only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypap View Post
I did not use a battery charger. The instructions say the charger is only necessary if your battery is not at full. The upload/download +/- 30 minutes each. I don't think that having the dashboard switched on for 30 minutes should drain your battery.
We recommend using a charger just in case. If the battery dies during programing you will have to go thru a recovery back to stock and then start over adding additional time and work to the process.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
69

 
NYCGP's Avatar
 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle


Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (0)

I have it and I love it... Just a little issue with the idle.. I took the tune off and the car ran perfectly. With it on and with the A/C off.. the idle RPMs drop to 500.. Something the guys from ESS really need to look into. I have put about 8k miles on the tune. That is the only problem I have had besides decreased gas mileage and increased oil consumption..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #14
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
I have it and I love it... Just a little issue with the idle.. I took the tune off and the car ran perfectly. With it on and with the A/C off.. the idle RPMs drop to 500.. Something the guys from ESS really need to look into. I have put about 8k miles on the tune. That is the only problem I have had besides decreased gas mileage and increased oil consumption..
Excuse me if it's a stupid question, but why is idling at 500 rpm an issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Discount currently available for xbimmer members:


http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593532
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
69

 
NYCGP's Avatar
 
Drives: Bandwagon
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jungle


Posts: 1,578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypap View Post
Excuse me if it's a stupid question, but why is idling at 500 rpm an issue?
Car notices it is idling too low and stutters in an attempt to raise the RPMs. I actually had the car stall on me once. Car needs a certain amount of RPMs to maintain a healthy idle. In our cars (and most bimmers) it is between 600-700. If it didn't matter we would idle lower to reduce fuel consumption. Had a similar problem with the N54.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Roman@ESS
164

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ


Posts: 2,653
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Car notices it is idling too low and stutters in an attempt to raise the RPMs. I actually had the car stall on me once. Car needs a certain amount of RPMs to maintain a healthy idle. In our cars (and most bimmers) it is between 600-700. If it didn't matter we would idle lower to reduce fuel consumption. Had a similar problem with the N54.
We keep idle 100% stock with our software. It might be slightly different right after you flash before it has time to adapt but under normal conditions should be the same as stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:41 PM   #18
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
We keep idle 100% stock with our software. It might be slightly different right after you flash before it has time to adapt but under normal conditions should be the same as stock.
I feel this is exactly what happened to me. Initially was 500, but after about 50 miles into driving post-tune readjusted to about 700.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #19
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
19

 
Drives: BMW X6M 2013
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brooklyn NY


Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypap View Post
In the 40-50 range.
Well then its not impressive at all, BWM offered the same package 7RR, which I took, and it cost me only $1200, which I claim a good deal with being legal modified by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #20
tonypap
Second Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 X6 5.0 w/ESS Tune
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey


Posts: 217
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
Well then its not impressive at all, BWM offered the same package 7RR, which I took, and it cost me only $1200, which I claim a good deal with being legal modified by BMW.
7RR was only available for vehicles produced up to 2010. For anyone owning a 2011 and up that's not an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
m 135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
3

 
m 135's Avatar
 
Drives: Gtr
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Perth,Australia.


Posts: 240
iTrader: (1)

[quote=Roman@ESS;10537697]Currently the interface is Windoes / PC only.



I would like to get this tune, but i have a mac pc,i might be buying a windows notebook/laptop, would this work ?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
Roman@ESS
164

 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ


Posts: 2,653
iTrader: (5)

[quote=m 135;10543422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Currently the interface is Windoes / PC only.



I would like to get this tune, but i have a mac pc,i might be buying a windows notebook/laptop, would this work ?
Any PC will work.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST