Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseboy78 View Post
I find it amusing - bmw engineers pour thousands of hours into developing and fine tuning the engines, gearbox, chassis, drivetrain, management and stability systems to work in harmony with each other - to give the optimum in performance without sacrificing the longevity of any parts, and then along comes a hack (errr I mean tuner) and offers "more power" from your engine. Sure go ahead. I wouldn´t - but then again, what would I know
Any quality product with R+D is required to meet minimum standards and in BMW's case will be far above those requirements.

Qouted figures are a guide only, eg a tyres maximum rating might state max speed of 170mph. But does that mean that your tyres will explode at 171mph?
A bridge will take x amount of cars, will x+1 cause the bridge to come crashing down? There are always safety margins built in as manufacturers and governments know people will always push the limits and aloow for this.

A power rating for an engine does not mean that is the maximum tolerated. Take BMWs 3.0 inline 6 engines. There are various different states of tune accross the world according to market. The 3.0L engine is used in 323, 325, 330. All the same engines with different states of tunes the only difference being perhaps intake and manifold/exhaust.

Also, asides from marketing another reason for these conservative numbers is that one engine fits all scenario eg 330 in uk - cold, rain, snow and then Australia - harsh climates. There is a margin of safety built in to withstand different environments. The other variable is the driver. The average driver may not look after their cars.... but as enthusiasts who change their oil every 5k, service their car regularly , use 98RON etc etc then upping power 10-30% should be relatively safe.

However, I do understand the flip side of the argument and that you induce more wear and tear by working the components harder.

In the end though, if you want to chip then be prepared ''you gotta pay to play''. However, if you ask DMS automotive Uk though I think they have no known major failures or issues with their chipped cars.
Appreciate 0