View Single Post
      04-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

The light in the glove box is very temperamental, and given the light is always on when the glove box lid is open, you run a high risk of blowing the fuse if you try to replace the bulb while it is powered (I did, mainly by following the advice above of using a round OEM LED replacement bulb, which I believe is incorrect - it's the same bulb housing as the rear footwell bulbs which require the flat LED OEM lights. The round one may work fine for you, it did not for me at all until I swapped it out with a flat one - a nice bonus is that the flat OEM LED bulb is a bit brighter.). The safest thing to do would be to remove the fuse that powers the glove box first, then change out the bulb. Using the OEM LED retrofit kit:

The LED bulb you should use to replace the bulb in the glove box is the flat LED light, not the round one. Make sure the light itself (yellow-looking diode) is aiming downward (toward the glove box) when you install it. That will ensure the polarity is correct and the light is aiming properly downward and will minimize the risk of a blown fuse.

If you do blow a fuse, DO NOT CLOSE THE GLOVE BOX! . The glove box locking mechanism is powered by the same fuse as the light. If you close the glove box, you won't be able to open it again until you replace the blown fuse.

If you blow the fuse or want to pull the fuse before you replace the light, the fuse panel is underneath the passenger dashboard in the footwell area.

"The fuse box is located underneath the passenger dash. There are three screws that you will to need to remove that will reveal the fuse box. After you remove the panel look up and to the right and you will see a panel (on the right hand side) with a green screw. Unscrew this and it will reveal the fuse panel. The fuse that I replaced was the mini 10 fuse in the below pic. I tired different type SMD LED bulbs and it kept popping the fuse. So I ended just putting the stock one back in."

Thanks to PCGRUR2K for figuring this out.

Additionally, this fuse panel tilts down when you loosen the green screw - it does not pull forward - it's very awkward to get to. There is a fuse removal tool in the fuse panel in the back liftgate fuse box if you need one. The fuse indicated by the red arrow (the red "10" fuse) is the one you need to pull.

Last edited by TonySCV; 04-13-2013 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0