Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subydayo View Post
I think apart of the 10-year warranty mandated replacing the camshaft gears if any bolts were loose, and they should also be opening the oil pan to look for any sheared bolts.

I just had the bolts replaced back in the spring, and it was because I had to... I didn't go into the oil pan to find them so I'm wondering if this will be in the solution. On the NHTSA website it says the recall is incomplete and "remedy not yet available," though it does say "replace the 4 bolts... should take 4 hours..." I have a 2011 X3 28i with the N52.

I just don't understand how replacing the 4 bolts and wiping your hands is a solution. The camshafts could be out of time, bolts could be sheared and in the engine or oil pan. They have to take the valve cover off which typically means a new valve cover...
The default is if the bolts are there and they are intact, they just replace them with the updated bolts. But at least the last time around, if they were any missing they dropped the pan to get the remains out, and I would assume that will be the same this time.

As long as one-ish bolt is still there, the cam won't be out of time, but missing and loose bolts CAN damage the gears, hence the replacement if necessary.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0