0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim1000 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am new to the X5 world but have been working on my 2006 330i for a decade so not new to working on them. I picked up an almost off-CPO 2013 X5 35i a couple weeks ago and was doing a spark plug change last night and was about to take off the cowling under the windshield when it started to rain. Water was dripping on to the engine from where the side cowlings join the center cowling.

I applied clear silicone to the join during the rain until it stopped dripping.

I can verify that the cowling is a shitty design compared 3 series. The cowing is factory original, not cracked and it had the black factory sticky stuff holding the pieces together. It was dripping very near the MAF sensor wiring.

Attached pictures with all the plastic removed to show where the leaks are occurring and a shot where I applied the silicone.

If anyone's MAF sensor on a 35i keeps failing or throwing codes (or for anyone that wants to prevent future damage) you might want to have a buddy spray water on to the windshield as you watch the cowling for drips.
Good catch. I Might have to add some rubber strips to that part on my X5M. Thanks for posting this.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0