07-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
PeTo_H
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '99 528iA, X6 35i on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
Can someone explain to me why diesel is getting more expensive than gas? Is it pollution?
Can someone convince me to buy a 35i instead of a d? I know the d is saving about 5 liters in consumption, with respect to MPG. . Just tell me why it's not worth it to buy a diesel (putting aside the better MPG, including the bigger price tag for diesel, and the 80,000 km redemption period). I already own a diesel, and love the MPG, the rattling of the diesel at idle is the only thing that bugs me (and Mazda 6 is very quiet, diesel-wise, really). Just explain me the 80,000 km return on investment. . .or levelling out. .I have some really family problems that deplete even more my lifetime pathetic abilities to do the right maths. .

PS: I would love to get sport exhaust on the X6. . .But it won't work on diesel. . .
akraptor,
ok, I will try to explain all to you
1 - diesel getting more expensive than gas: simple market rules of supply and demand influencing the prices. More people buy diesel cars=demand for diesel fuel is raising and therefore its price is going up. And in the same time, logically, demand fot gas is going down and therefore its price is going down. It is as easy as that. Well, plus some speculations on the market that influence the prices, but mostly the laws of supply and demand influence the prices.
2 - Yes, in you case I would very much like to convince you to buy 35i for several reasons: 1 - 35d is more expensive and you will not profit from its better MPG or l/km as you (regarding to you posts) will not drive a lot with it; 2 - to keep it simple diesel is worth buying if you drive 25 - 30 000 km a year, what you do not; 3 - sound, sound and again sound, BMW diesles sound good these days but still, petrol is petrol and the sound of 306 hp 6-cylinder engine is just perfect (drove it in 135i coupe and the sound is just ); 4 - 80.000 km return of investment - basically, the price difference of 35d and 35i will be payed off only after driving for cca. 80.000 km as I have calculated by the prices in Slovakia. Every 100 km you "save" around 3 liters in consuption when you compare better diesel consumption to a worser petrol engine consumption. Multiply (x) 3 by the price of petrol in your country, and get what you "save" in terms on money on the consumption of diesel model. Now calculate the price difference of 35d and 35i, and divide (/) it by "saving" that you have calculated in the previous step. And finally, multiply it by 100 and you get an approximate (again if anybody tries to argue-an approximate) number of kilometers by which the price difference of each model will be payed off (from which you will actually will stars saving money buy owning a diesel-tractor car ). Clear? I hope so.; 5 - sport exhast possible on 35i, 35d will always sound NOT like a sports SUV. Just to give you an example, look here for s diesel 535d with Hamann exhaust
and now look at this 335i with Superspring exhaust
, and some other
6 - waitlist for 35d - one more reason why to choose 35i. Again the laws of supply and demand, more people buy 35d engines in X6 and as well in X5, so there are not enough capacities to produce so much engines, and therefore petrol engines such as 35i are available in shorter time period.;

Now I honestly think that you have some things clear. I was in the same situation as you, just with the difference that I drive a petrol 528iA at the moment with 315.000km on the odometer (I am the first owner and own it from 2000). After some thoughts, same as your, I have made it clear for me that 35i is the one for me. Price, sound, availability persuaded me. I hope that they will persuade you as well.
Peter
Appreciate 0