View Single Post
      06-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #22
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Wow, I searched and found this thread due to an odd experience yesterday while camping, with my 2012 X5 50i.
First let me say I have gotten no Battery warning message of any kind. However I did check the voltage on what I assume is my original battery before going camping for the weekend, due to some of these stories. It was at 11.9v, pretty low, but I was getting no issues at all. I did throw the charger on it for 20 mins at full power (12amps) just to give it a boost.

Drove out there no prob. When beginning our return trip, I started the car and noticed my seat & steering wheel were not in the right position. Then I noticed my radio presets were all gone - but two different satellite channels showed instead - wtf? My mirrors and blinker preferences were also changed.
My first thought (having read about some of these issues) was the battery was getting low. But my comfort access is working fine.

Was thinking about this on the drive home... Earlier that morning I had of course unlocked the car using the remote so we could go canoeing. Drove it to the water, and back, .25 miles each way. Then took family to pool and came back to site so I could pack up all our gear. I turned the radio on and opened the tailgate and listened to the radio while packing for a couple songs, then it automatically turned off (it does that normally I believe).
Finished packing and got in the car, key in pocket, started off and this is when I experienced the above issues.

Later my wife said her key (which she has NOT used yet as car is new to us) was in a bag that I packed in the car. It crossed my mind that perhaps the button on that key was pressed during packing and
set the vehicle to her key's settings.... Since the radio presets were Not entirely wiped out, but actually changed to two different channels, this would make sense. I never pressed a button on my key after that, I just got in the driver's seat with it in my pocket and drove. Perhaps her key being in the vehicle (although it was in the back cargo area) never let it sense my key alone, so it did not switch back to my settings...

What I think I need to do is perform some experimentation tonight with both keys. The problem is, on the way home, I had set all the preferences back to what I wanted, so if indeed the car was operating under her key it will be difficult to now see a difference in the keys! I did NOT re-program all my satellite radio presets, however, so that may be the one thing I will be able to see a difference in between keys... if those are in fact set differently by key.

Sorry for the long post, I guess what I want to ask is, has anyone found they needed a battery WITHOUT getting an actual Battery warning message?
And is comfort access almost always the first feature to show signs of wackiness when battery is low?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0