View Single Post
      01-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Considering trading our 35d for 35i? Also, lease rate questions?

We have an 09 X5 35d - Alpine White w/ Tobacco Interior. It has the premium package, sport package including adaptive drive, rear HVAC, comfort access, etc. It lacks premium audio, nav, heated seats, rear camera.

The warranty expires this coming Summer, and with almost 37k miles, we're growing a tad bit tired of the diesel. First, it's just loud, especially at slow speeds. Getting into and out of our neighborhood requires 1 mile of driving on 25 mph roads with three stop signs, and it's just a bit loud. It also vibrates a bit too much which causes some annoying rattles from time to time. It's also a bit sluggish, it just doesn't feel very responsive or fast. It doesn't feel like a sub-7 second 0-60 car. Finally, diesel gas is running $0.40 to $0.50 more than Premium now which somewhat negates the mpg benefit of diesel. For what it's worth, our liftime average for mpg is 21.5-22mpg, so that's not so bad, but considering with the gas 10-15% more expensive, I think a 35i vs 35d becomes a wash on cost of fuel.

It's my wife's daily driver, and she also really misses heated seats and a reverse camera. Instead of plopping $4k for an extended warranty, we're now considering getting a 2012 x35i, looking for: faster/more responsive, quieter/smoother, better looking LCI bumpers, more options like backup cam and heated seats.

Has anyone else made this switch? Also, is there any notable build quality improvements from 09 to 12. I find the overall interior build quality of these to be pretty pathetic considering their price. The E90 is much better put together and it's much cheaper. We have some areas of rattles and during cornering the flex makes the interior parts squeak a bit. Because of that, we're also considering other cars like the new ML350 or even the RX450H. I know the BMW drives great, but it's still an SUV, so having additional luxury over pure performance may be worthwhile. Has anyone driven the new ML350?

We also don't keep cars terribly long, so now leasing seems like a reasonable alternative. What should I expect a lease rate to be on an X5 with a sticker around $65k. It seems used 2012s that we want are $50k+, so leasing new may make more sense. 12k miles per year is sufficient, and I believe in Texas we have to pay tax on the total value. BMW lists a $599 / month lease rate on X5 Sport, but I'm sure my dealer will find some way to wrench that lease rate ridiculously.

Cheers!

Last edited by U235; 01-01-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0