View Single Post
      08-13-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Hi All, Got it back from the dealer for the air suspension compressor, covered under warranty, yaay! Makes a big difference, drives much smoother, less rough, as when the compressor was dying I guess it didn't pump up the back enough. Anyways, noticed a leak now, coming from somewhere on passenger side, and dealer noted on invoice 'oil Return leak'. So, looking at this video here:

Its a gasket like right on top of the engine, that was leaking, and it is where the oil returns to Oil pan or?? Not sure, The vid is for a 50i, but looks somewhat similar to my X5M. So, if it's just gaskets that are leaking, that's good news for me. Any thoughts on what it may be for sure? When I drive it hard, it really has a bad smell of burning oil, and smoke coming from passenger side of motor, and lots of oil coming out down across the header, and near the oil filter, as it comes out the bottom of the truck. The harder I drive it the worse it is. I can take pics if anyone wants more details. Thanks!

Most likely your oil return cover, very common on the 50i and M. Another possible is coked up oil return lines, best to replace the cover and turbo oil retun lines at same time. You should replace the cylinder head to cylinder head coolant line while you are at it as it will take only 5 minutes to replace once you have the turbos off and is another common failure point Looking at around 400 dollars in parts if you do it yourself and shop around for the best prices on parts. It's not a bad job, just time consuming, will take around 8 hours to do. If you take to a dealer, expect around 2200-2500ish like the other member posted. Take some more pics and post them here just so me and the other members that have worked on these engines can make sure it's what you need.
Appreciate 1
m5james431.00