View Single Post
      01-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #30
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Yes BMW does try to minimize the pain but they are their own worst enemy with this set of problems in this car. They need to allow the technicians some leeway so they can diagnose and fix the problem right the first time. In mycase, they only got to the diagnosis of a loose wastegate (which required replacing the turbos) after they tried everything else twice, and that was too late.

The step by step process of elimination and needing to go through the loop more than once, with delays for interaction with the factory, frequently brings the situation into lemon law territory. When you add the easily fixed but frequently failing HPFP onto the difficult to diagnose waste gate and boost leak problems and the battery issues, you have, shall we say, an ownership experience that is, shall we just say, not up to par.

I'm surprised BMWNA hasn't stepped in yet for Archwerks. I'm also surprised the factory hasn't come up with a test for loose wastegate and added it to the standard test proceedure. I'm concerned they are ditching the N54 engine for the N55 instead of sticking with it and fixing its reliability problems.
Appreciate 0