12-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
Considering a 2011 X5 w/50k on the clock, a 35d w/premium/nav/climate package. What do you think: average reliability (say $500/year in repairs above typical maintenance) or should I put away much more than that? The depreciation is already much steeper than the 2011 Acura MDX w/tech package I am considering (same cars w/same mileage at the same price), as the Acura started life as a $47k car and is selling for $31k, and the 35d as a $59k car selling for $32k. I don't want to be hit with a double whammy of extra depreciation and big repair bills.

Thoughts? I am a long time Bimmer owner, this would be my first X5, and even though I personally haven't had any maintenance issues on my 3-series, this is a whole different car. To be honest, the MDX was just as fun to drive as the X5, I prefer the styling of the X5 a bit and mileage should be better, but if it costs way more to own, then may not be worth it.
Well, I'm not surprised the X5 has depreciated faster, it's a more expensive vehicle. The more expensive the vehicle, the faster/further they depreciate it seems. At this point I don't think the X5 will depreciate any faster than an MDX.

I don't have experience with the 35d and really haven't owned an X5 that long, but I'm certain an Acura will be more reliable (less expensive to maintain) than a BMW in the long run. I've owned both over the years and while I much prefer driving a BMW, the Acuras were always less $ to maintain. A lot less.

I guess you need to decide which is more important, potential maintenance costs vs preferred styling & gas mileage? I like both vehicles, but do agree with you the BMW styling looks better to my eyes too
Appreciate 0