View Single Post
      03-20-2014, 01:46 AM   #1
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Suspension characteristics, something wrong?

I've noticed now that I've had the X5 in the garage for a month or so now, that the suspension is rather rough.

Keep in mind it does have the factory 20x10+20x11 wheels and 35 series RTF's in the rear. So I'm not sure how much can be attributed to RTF's and/or 35 series tires.

Here are just some examples of that (This is daily driving in the city as an FYI)

1. Expansion joints or sharp edges in the road, rather stiff and sharp on impact.

2. The rear of the car feels a bit unsettled, almost like it might be skipping a tad out back. This is pretty common mid-turn on rough poor quality roads, or roads that have been "repaired."

For the most part, the X5 with m-sport package (Which I thought was nothing more than a dress-up package) feels little different, than my 400HP Subaru with urethane bushings throughout EVERY suspension piece, Koni shocks and lowering springs. Though I can at least adjust the rebound softer so as to not be too stiff, and not skip during mid-turn bumps. That car has 18x8" wheels and 40 series tires.

So that said, if feels like I could use a softer rebound damping in the shocks. Obviously, they are stock, so that is out of the question. I'm not going to do KW's ever (Family car, no suspension mods)

I'll do the "bounce test," in the rear, to rule out the shocks maybe bad... But am I missing something? Am I the only one noticing this? It's not a very sporty feeling that I'm feeling. I'm feeling just a stiff/firm suspension, that is not at all confidence inspiring.