11-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #31
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Thanks, I think the big difference here is that the video is talking about heel & toe for quick shifts at the track, whereas I'm talking about rev matching for regular street driving, e.g. down shifting 1 gear to make a right turn. Do you guys routinely blip the throttle while the clutch is depressed when you're driving on the street?
*To your previous post: Revving the engine with the clutch depressed does not wear your clutch whatsoever. The throwout bearing would take any wear, and it is designed to do exactly that.

Yes. I rev match every downshift to make a turn.

See upcoming turn.
Clutch in
Shift gear
Throttle up to rpm
Clutch out/feather throttle to match
Close throttle
Brake (engine and pedal)
Turn
Open throttle out of corner

Quote:
I've always been taught to do the double clutch downshift to save my clutch and brakes. Other people say it makes no difference on modern gearboxes and I can just depress the clutch once to downshift, then let the engine do the braking for me
Compared to what I mentioned above, the only advantage to double clutching would be that the syncros don't have to work as hard. But shifting hard and fast will wear them much more in the long run than the small savings of double clutching.

However, assuming you don't blip the throttle, the bold part will wear your clutch as it "pulls" the engine speed up to match the vehicle speed. It can also shock the drivetrain if you pop the clutch out too quickly. (Like shown in the video when he spins out.)

Last edited by RJ_; 11-13-2015 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0