11-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
What you're talking about is a double-clutch rev match downshift. The only real benefit to this is that by releasing the clutch in neutral and then blipping the throttle, you're bringing the intermediate shaft to the same speed as the engine, so the syncros have little work to do and you can slide into gear easily. Very smooth and low wear, but slower.

As shown in the video, a rev match downshift only requires a single press of the clutch, but requires the syncros to match a larger speed differential.
Thanks, I think the big difference here is that the video is talking about heel & toe for quick downshifts at the track, whereas I'm talking about rev matching to downshift for regular street driving, e.g. down shifting 1 gear to make a right turn.

I've always been taught to do the double clutch downshift to save my clutch and brakes. Other people say it makes no difference on modern gearboxes and I can just depress the clutch once to downshift, then let the engine do the braking for me as I enter my right turn. For daily driving is there a need to double clutch downshift to prevent damaging my synchros? I have an 2004 Z4 btw, so not as modern as your cars.

Last edited by Twixboy; 11-13-2015 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0