View Single Post
      06-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #442
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Is it lag, or just being in too low of a gear? Autos like to cruise in the highest gear possible, which usually isn't good for a turbo engine. The. At 1200rpm it has to downshift a few times to really get into the RPM and HP range to give you any real "oomph". Once you are there at 2500 rpm, it's fine, so if you had the ability to be cruising at that rpm and hit the gas, it'll "go" with minimal/hard to feel any-lag. My wrx was rev-happy, but below 2500 it was a dog, especially with the AC on. A tune and mods helped with this. It was hard to really experience "lag" though if you were shifting it. Above 3K you hit the gas and "instant go". My LS3 on the last car was NA, but that really had to get up to about 4K before it really became alive, although there was torque for days at lower RPM where it could seemingly pull out of anything, still, that response would be slow (could even say "laggy", but you are in a ridiculously high gear, so have to keep that perspective). So I have to wonder if these engines are really that "laggy", because they all (modern turbos from all European manufacturers) make full torque around 1500rpm or less, or if it's the transmission seeking out the highest gear and simply being in too high of a gear for acceleration?

I don't know if the M2 is manual only, but the "lag" was something I got by with just fine in the wrx. The little engine was very "rev-happy".
Appreciate 0