02-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Did the vehicle start in limp mode or did it go into limp mode after driving normally? Was there just a lack of power but smooth or did it sputter like a diesel tractor?

What I've experienced with limp mode specific to this vehicle is if there is a reduction in power the vehicle will 1) display the message on iDrive/Heads Up 'Engine Malfunction, Reduced Power' or 2) go straight to SES displayed in cluster.

Depending on how long you drove in limp mode, there is a change the car didn't have a chance to display any warnings...although, from your description it seems to me like it had enough time.

I'd check for codes if at all possible, if you have some sort of reader. Just because there was no visual warning doesn't mean that nothing was stored.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Thanks for the response --

You know i'm not sure if it came on immediately after starting the car, i wasn't driving very fast, just through town, so it wasnt really noticeable.

As far as the power delivery, it was still smooth, but you could feel the engine restricting power. I've experienced engine failsafe in E53 X5s and it felt very similar.

For the record, i've only had the car for a week, so i'm not sure of the rest of the history if its happened before

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0