View Single Post
      08-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #35
TRIUMPHT
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't know your exact situation and what you paid for what parts/repairs, but in general, expensive repairs should be expected with an 80K vehicle, IMO.

That isn't directed at you, just a general comment. There are a lot of members here who make comments about expensive repairs on these vehicles. That should be expected given the cost new. These are not $30-$40K Hondas, the parts and repairs are going to be more. There are some people here who seem surprised/caught off guard by that.
I see tons of people that make that comment when it comes to these vehicles so this is not directed at you but just in general. I can't speak for everyone when it comes to complaining about repairs. As far as i go i have an issue with the timing on repairs in some instances. You mentioned "these are not $30-$40K Honda's" and your correct so i expect more from a car that costs double the price. If a $30-$40k car can make it to damn near 100k miles sometimes more without needing anything other than basic maintenance why can't a car that cost double the price.

Now before i get bombarded by loyalists i am on my second BMW i have owned 1 american car and 9 cars from the asian market. 4 or my asian market vehicles were Acura. 2 out of the 4 had premature issues before even hitting 50K so by no means are they perfect. 1 instance the last acura i owned torque converter went at 20K miles. The other 2 were solid along with most my other cars needing very little upkeep.

Now on to my BMW's first was a 2011 535xi purchased CPO with 45,000 miles within the first months vanos was going caught it before it went.. covered.. Was not deterred because after that no issues what soever just basic maintenance..

Needed a bigger vehicle went with my current 2013 X5 just purchased this vehicle in Dec 2016 44k miles CPO..2 months ago headed on my usual drive i get "Engine Malfunction Reduced Power" turns out to be the Eccentric shaft went. Fast forward to this month usual running around "engine overheated" warning comes on couldn't drive car had to call roadside assistance.. Water pump went..Covered by warranty but thrust bushings and control arm links that are shot not covered which i knew but car just hit 51k miles...

And this is the vehicle my wife thought was a better idea to take on a road trip from New York to South Carolina then back when she has a Lexus RX350. Glad we didn't take the X5 but the fact that i am afraid to take a car that cost more money on long road trip says alot and should not even have to be a concern..

By no means are there many vehicles now adays that are as solid as they once were with even toyota dropping in reliability but i just feel if i am paying more for something i should have to worry less.

If things need to be replaced at 80k, 100k i could live with that because that means it will most likely take me to 80k, 100k again but at 40k,50k or 30k in some instances then that's a problem for me especially if its expensive...
Appreciate 1
BlackX514.50