View Single Post
      02-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Chedman13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325XI Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstve View Post
What do you exactly mean by "used properly"?
Do H&R wheel spacers have a speed rating?
H&R has two types for the BMW:

DR = bolt go through and you use longer bolts
DRA = spacer bolts onto the hub itself, and you use another set of bolts to bolt the wheel to the spacer

H&R's DR longer bolts are strong enough to withstand the extra force to not break under normal use. I don't know the exact specs but you can call them. They would have a bill lawsuit if they weren't strong.

It's not so much speed rating, more so hitting your wheel or exerting forces onto the bolts that would cause it to fail.

With spacers, you're moving the wheel farther from the hub, thus increases these forces. You do the same with large offsets that move the wheel farther away as well - except it's one solid piece and not an extra "spacer".

DRA - you are locking the spacer to the hub, and the wheel to the spacer - more secure, but also more places for it to fail.

So using them properly - I mean to ensure that you use hub centric and wheel centric spacers (H&R will be for oem wheels and oem spec hub wheels) and properly torque the bolts.

If you use DRA - you need to take it over after 1,000 or so miles, re-torque the spacer to the hub (it can loosen) and then do it again around 5,000 to be on the safe side. Not many do this, but I do with a torque wrench and the ft/lbs are off for a few every time.

Some tire places don't want to even deal with spacers since they think it'd be a liability to them so won't touch cars with spacers on.

I've run spacers and never had any issue or feel unsafe. My current set is on Brabus wheels, but the spacer is made for the wheel and bolts onto the wheel itself.
Appreciate 0