TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
I took a break for a couple months. Looking to start back up with the engine work next month.

Here's where I'm at so far:

Block is back from machine shop. I had the cast iron sleeves installed.
Original s63 has the curved rods. Upgraded to the pro extreme m5 rods which are straight. Had to notch out the block a little to accommodate the rod bolt. Wasn't too worried about this as I see the newer s63tu had this notch done by the factory.

Present issue is the oil sprayers. On the original s63 engine I have, there is a single oil sprayer with two nozzles, one nozzle for each cylinder. This oil sprayer is located in the center of the valley which, of course, touches the upgraded M5 rods. On the s63tu, the factory relocated and separated the oil sprayers on the outside of the valley.

Since we cannot accommodate that, few options:

1. Try to have a custom oil sprayer made that has a flat head and does not rub the rod bolt.
2. Not recommended but some do..... Shave/grind some of the rod bolt to allow clearance.. IMO I don't want to shave down the rod bolt because that's taking a lot of strength.
3. Plug the oil sprayer hole and notch a small opening at the top of the rod where the bearing is (12 o'clock) to allow some oil to "fling" up to the piston.

From a few experts that I have worked with, Porsche racing has this notch on factory forged rods, and some performance Chevy motors.

I am leaning towards #3 but will first explore #1.