View Single Post
      03-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #37
Robkap21
Rep
Drives: BMW

In my earlier post, I was using SULEV as shorthand for the BMW emissions warranty coverage which applied to my vehicle within my state of residence.

Contained within the BMW SULEV/PZEV warranty coverage is the explanation for coverage under the California Emissions Control System Limited Warranty which provides coverage for 7 years/70,000 miles unless the specific vehicle model has a special certification which extends coverage to 8 years/100,000 miles. A group of states have adopted what are known as the California Air Resources Board (CARB) warranty coverage rules which are basically the California emissions warranty. Different states have adopted these rules differently as they apply to different model years.

This is how the BMW emissions warranty describes the applicability of this coverage:

"Emission Coverage - 2011 Model Year and Newer BMW Vehicles
The statement in the Service and Warranty Booklet is:
The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all [applicable model year] U.S.-specification BMW [models] registered in [specific states - list]."

The vehicle does not need to have a SULEV/PZEV engine to qualify for this coverage. It's a function of model year and state of residence. Since I live in a state which adopted CARB rules for model year 2000 forward and since my X5m was newer than 2011 and had fewer than 70,000 miles, I qualified for a warranty replacement of a failed turbo under this emissions warranty coverage.

Having looked at this more carefully, I now understand that the original poster probably would not qualify for this emissons warranty coverage in his home state of New York because New York appears to have adopted this coverage for only model years starting in 2016.
Appreciate 0