View Single Post
      10-30-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
typerlover
Private
Rep
Drives: coming soon

I'd say I'm in a good position to comment on this since I've used both of them for a decent amount of time.

For doing anything as far as just chilling with the computer, such as surfing, email, doing excel and word, and viewing photos I like the mac better because it does just that and somehow without much distraction. I don't know why but doing that on a PC does not provide that same level of comfort and effectiveness.

I am a minimalist and enjoy the layout of the system.

As far as music, that depends on if you use itunes on a pc. If so, then you will be just fine. I personally am a WinAmp user and don't like much of the bloat that is itunes, but it works just fine in OSX.

One thing to note, is that when we talk about "internet" it is important to know that there are times, while not as often as before, that videos embedded in websites may not play properly in OSX. Sometimes upsetting, other times not a big deal.

I would say make the switch just for the sake of getting a breath of fresh air and a change of scenery. That enough is worth it.

As far as syncing your mobile, I'm sure that a PC will do that much easier and be far more compatible than on a mac. Everyone claims that you can now run Windows on the mac, and sure you can, but even still, just the fact of having to reboot to get into that system is enough to keep me from doing it too often. And emulation may have improved, but still is not the best alternative.

So what to do? Do it like I said just to try a new system. You will enjoy it I'm sure. Apple hardware can be a tossup between great and piss poor. I've had em all, powerbooks, macbooks, macbook pros, cinema displays, everything. Just read on the forums and see what issues each model has,although the latest released of C2D Macbook Pro's may have improved a lot.

Avoid the macbooks, the random shutdown is a serious issue and I believe it is an inherent flaw in the design of the laptop that affects EVERY unit. Sure some people may not be experiencing it just yet, but it will happen. Should they update the macbooks sometime soon though that may be something worth looking into.

The iMacs are nice and don't have many problems either, and the 24" is a real monster.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions.
Appreciate 0