Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Exactly.

And who blames them.

I'd venture to guess that 99% of all BMW owners never take their car to the limit on a regular basis, if at all. And likely, for their most hardcore enthusiasts (which we'll include in this group M owners), I bet 95%+ of us hardcore enthusiasts never track our cars either, thus never really reaching the upper limits of the car on a regular basis.

So, are they going to design a steering system for the select few who will take their cars to the limit, or the masses? I think it's a no-brainer.

BMW is a company that has stakeholders, and the stakeholders tell the engineers: "Fulfill the needs of the mainstream buyer, and attract new BMW loyalists."

Limited production vehicles like the M4 GTS are built for us pure enthusiasts, and by all accounts, it acquits itself nicely.

As cars continue to progress, certain elements will get lost in translation. But you can still find early model BMWs in good condition, for those of us that feel nostalgic and want the purity of the experience (complete with excellent steering feel).

Car companies must move forward, even though to some of us, it's a small step backwards.

It took quite some time to perfect the basic steering rack, so it will take some time to perfect electric steering too. Let's hope that when they do, cars aren't simply driving themselves.
True... but many people do buy cars (or products in general) based on emotional responses. BMW has always been known as the "sportier version" - more nimble, lighter, better steering, better acceleration, etc... and a lot of people still think that when buying a BMW over a Lexus, MB, Audi, etc. It only take a generation or two of cars to persuade people otherwise and when BMW loses their sporty concept to potential buyers... who know what will happen lol
Appreciate 0