View Single Post
      01-08-2017, 05:16 PM   #123
bimmerNovice
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by okyereis View Post
Fellas, I need help and direction on this one here. So my wife was driving our 2012 BWM X5 and called me that she's suddenly hearing some unusual noise, I had her pull to the side of the road, went over and lo and behold all the oil in the truck was oozing out of the vehicle. I bent down yet couldn't see anything broken.
I later found out that it was the drive shaft that was broken, since I bought the car from Carmax and it was covered under a 5 year warranty I towed it there and left a note in the truck as their service center was closed that no one should start it as there's no oil in the truck. The service consultant (SC) told me that they need to replace not just the shaft but the oil pan. Upon taking the oil pan they discovered METAL SHAVINGS in the oil pan. METAL SHAVINGS???? YES! METAL SHAVINGS! How in the world is there metal shavings in the pan? Well, they called to tell me that it looks like there may be some more damage to the extent that the engine may probably need replacement. OH MY!
Fellas I need help on this, first of all, the drive shaft caused the problem. My car has almost 55000 miles. Does BMW cover this shaft problems? Or I should just have Carmax work on it? Am just confused, I know Dawgman had a similar issue, is there anyway I could go about this?

As far as my experience with CarMax has been with other vehicles, they only perform in house repairs that are more universal or straight forward. I have had a couple vehicles put in for service there and I was told that they were sent to the dealership for certain issues. As finicky and complex as Bmw's can be, I would expect them to have most repairs done by the dealership.
Appreciate 0