View Single Post
      01-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #117
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Just heard from the dealer. When the driveshaft let go it cracked the side of the transmission case (I believe at least one other forum member had that happen, and it needs a new transmission.) They estimate it will take a week to procure it...apparently it's air freighted in from Germany.

At least they are finally giving us a loaner car tomorrow, although it's a hour south of here and I have to figure out how to get there. And he did confirm that all the repairs will be covered under the extended driveshaft warranty.

I'm going to bring a copy of the $169 towing bill and request they ask BMW to reimburse us for that.

The service advisor explained that the reason for the extended warranty (versus recall) was that they expect only a small % to break, and unfortunately ours was one of them.

It was easy to tell that he was expected me to go ballistic with the news on the transmission, and I went easy on him as he is just the messenger.

I think it's unethical that BMW knew of the potential of this at least as early as 2014, and let us keep using the car while failing to warn us of the potential consequences. We never received the "extended warranty" letter, and even if we had the letter failed to mention how dangerous this is (and they are certainly well aware of the danger as it's referenced in their form recall letter).

If BMW was fully upfront about this at least some customers might recognize the noise/vibration and stop using the car before the driveshaft completely flies apart.
Appreciate 0