View Single Post
      03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
tovj829
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 5.0 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rios0311 View Post
Tovj829,

To give you an idea, I was coming off the Queensboro(ugh) bridge a few months ago and hit a pothole so deep it felt like I had hit a wall. I was sure I had cracked a wheel, but luckily I didn't (that I know of to date). No bubbles either. I have the Dunlop runflats on aftermarket BMW type 20" wheels. I would assume that the OEMs are much stronger.

One thing to keep in mind if you get the Dunlop runflats; set aside a budget of about $1,200 every 12 to 18 months to replace your front tires, and about another $1,200 to replace the rears every two years. I drive somewhat moderately and my wear rate averages 1/32th per 2,000 miles - or about 1/2 32th per 1,000 miles. I estimate the rears last about twice as long. I drive an ActiveHybrid, so I don't get quick starts unless I shift into sport mode. I expect that my wear rate should be a little less than everyone else.

I expect to go through 4 front tires (2 sets) and 2 rear tires (1 set) in approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years. At retail, that would be about $3,500 or so in tires, mounting and balancing included. I don't pay retail for mine. I try to get them used in "like new" condition.
Hi rios0311,

I know that feeling all too well. I hit a similar pothole on the Palisades Parkway in NY and it felt like I got into an accident. The impact was so jarring that my first reaction was to make sure all of the passengers in my car were ok. They were fine, but two tires immediately blew out (front and rear passenger side); not a fun experience, especially being one hour away from home. I'm glad that your wheels/tires made it through without any damage; after a hit like that, you must be reassured that you have some durable wheels/tires on your car.

Thanks for the info regarding tire wear. I am still negotiating with the dealership regarding the tires that will be installed; the car comes stock with summer tires and I want to get them to install all-season tires so I won't have to change the tires twice a year. Are your Dunlops summer tires and are you swapping them out in the winter time for winter tires?

-Rich
Appreciate 0