rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovj829 View Post
Hi All,

I love the look of the X6 with the 20" wheels and thinking about getting one, but given all the rough roads in NYC, I'm concerned about the low-profile tires and the greater potential for bubbles, blowouts and cracked wheels.

Have any opinions/experiences to share? Please do so; I look forward to reading about it.

Thanks,
Rich
Tovj829,

To give you an idea, I was coming off the Queensboro(ugh) bridge a few months ago and hit a pothole so deep it felt like I had hit a wall. I was sure I had cracked a wheel, but luckily I didn't (that I know of to date). No bubbles either. I have the Dunlop runflats on aftermarket BMW type 20" wheels. I would assume that the OEMs are much stronger.

One thing to keep in mind if you get the Dunlop runflats; set aside a budget of about $1,200 every 12 to 18 months to replace your front tires, and about another $1,200 to replace the rears every two years. I drive somewhat moderately and my wear rate averages 1/32th per 2,000 miles - or about 1/2 32th per 1,000 miles. I estimate the rears last about twice as long. I drive an ActiveHybrid, so I don't get quick starts unless I shift into sport mode. I expect that my wear rate should be a little less than everyone else. Good to know: The fronts have 7/32ths of useable tread and the rears have 8/32ths of useable tread.

I expect to go through 4 front tires (2 sets) and 2 rear tires (1 set) in approximately 2 to 2 1/2 years. At retail, that would be about $3,500 or so in tires, mounting and balancing included. I don't pay retail for mine. I try to get them used in "like new" condition.
Appreciate 0