View Single Post
      09-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

X5 Interior Creaks During Cornering

I've seen this commented throughout, but I've not seen a thread on it.

My X5 is very quiet on the highway, etc, but when making turns, especially 90 degree turns, it seems the flex of the chassis makes all of the plastic pieces in the interior creak and make plastic on plastic noise. Is there any DIY stuff to fix this?

Also, I've noticed some components really make noise. My elbow on the center console armrest often makes platicy noises, the back of the front headrests are the cheapest feeling material I've ever felt. The car is great, but a couple of these components are uncharacteristic of a car this value. I have an E90 328i loaner right now and it has considerably higher quality interior components than the X5. My 2011 Audi S4 is a vault compared to the x5.

I did fix the dreaded tailgate rattle, so now the car is actually pretty solid, and the remaining noises really only come under cornering at moderate speed, sort of like the interior components can't handle the stress of the body flex.

I've also developed a slight rattle somewhere around the driver side A-arm or in the roof somewhere. The rumble of the diesel engine at low RPM can make a little rattle; drives me nuts.

Has anyone found any fixes? I tried putting felt tape on the underside of the center console armrest and that didn't help.

I really love this truck, but these little gotchas are a bit of a buzz kill.
Appreciate 0