05-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #16
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Well considering how much more complicated these engines are compared to previous generation engines and the fact that BMW obviously doesn't like or want anybody else fiddling with the engine electronics, I am not surprised that it takes them this long to get this sorted out. I'm sure BMW will do everything in their power to discourage after market modding companies to 're-map' the engine controllers.

As foofitr stated, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of companies that are offering engine power upgrades via re-maping will eventually be unable to do this for any future engines. There may be a few that will succeed in getting past whatever roadblocks BMW is trying to put up, but in the long run, I can see that BMW will put a stop to it.

Even those that use boosters that are connected in-line with some of the engine electronics will eventually be detected by the engine electronics. Every engine controller generation is getting smarter and more complicated...
BMW should just offer aftermarket upgrades themselves so they can control it...and make money. They are missing a huge revenue base, not everyone is going to go out and buy a new bimmer every three years ( sorry BMW new reality).
Appreciate 0