03-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Every computer has a power supply, it's not an optional piece of equipment. ...

Most computers utilize what's called a switched-mode power supply, which takes the power from the outlet and filters it to become a DC voltage from an AC input. They also internally monitor the current being used by the system, and regulate it to maintain a relatively constant voltage. Power straight from the wall without being filtered or regulated would destroy the internal parts of the computer pretty much instantly.

For example, the AMD Sapphire HD 7990 card is going for $1,299 on Newegg right now. That is pretty absurd. What average video gamer needs that card? For that price alone, I could build a relatively average PC (the whole thing) and have something that performs rather well under regular use.
TY for the low down on power supplies.

$1300!!! Say what? I've been paying ~$4k-$6K depending on which year we are talking about for these gaming computers my kids want. Are you totally sure they can game just as effectively for less than half the price?

Please confirm and TY for the insight.

Papa wants a new watch...any of several, even a pricey one with that kind of savings. LOL.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0