United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
TY

Yes, I do recall having to get his last one with a power supply. Had something to do with the video card being what I call a "fake me out" single card. It was supposedly one card, but it was really two, if that makes sense. Needed a beefier power supply. I still don't know why the power coming in from the socket in the wall isn't sufficient.

Also, yes, they come with some sort of blu-ray drive. I think he said he uses the blu-ray to backup stuff and save stuff on.

I think the SSD pair is/are his main drive for programs. The jumbo hard drive is where he stores stuff.

All the best.
Every computer has a power supply, it's not an optional piece of equipment. The only part of one that is kind of optional is the wattage that they come in (like a size), which still has a minimum requirement depending on the load your overall system has. The purpose of the power supply isn't to generate a supply of dedicated power, it's to regulate and change the power coming from the wall socket.

Most computers utilize what's called a switched-mode power supply, which takes the power from the outlet and filters it to become a DC voltage from an AC input. They also internally monitor the current being used by the system, and regulate it to maintain a relatively constant voltage. Power straight from the wall without being filtered or regulated would destroy the internal parts of the computer pretty much instantly.

In the computer building world, some things are put inside PC's because they are actually useful, and then some are just for "bragging" as I call it. For instance, having two top of the line graphics cards in SLI configuration sounds pretty sweet, but for the average user it is not necessary. Even having one top of the line GPU isn't necessary IMHO. Unless you're working to do intense video editing, you do not need to go all out with the graphics card. Video games, for the most part, do not have such high requirements that require multiple cards in SLI. One card, with good card memory, can often handle a lot of things better (overall system performance and cooling). I have seen it quite often. It really becomes more of a bragging point for people to simply have the best, when in reality it isn't needed. Ideally, for me anyway, I'd like to build a very nice PC that plays games and does not run slowly, but also doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

For example, the AMD Sapphire HD 7990 card is going for $1,299 on Newegg right now. That is pretty absurd. What average video gamer needs that card? For that price alone, I could build a relatively average PC (the whole thing) and have something that performs rather well under regular use.