03-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
As far as building one goes, it's the best bet IMO. You can build a high quality PC for a lot cheaper, and it's actually quite easy. I built my first PC in Dec of 2012. It's still going strong with no issues.

The build you posted above can easily be built for a lot less than something you would buy pre-built. You could easily drop one of the SSD's for an even cheaper option. Not too sure why you'd need two setup in RAID config. I only have one, it has my OS on it and a game I play most often. The rest of my stuff is on a large 1TB HDD. I have a dedicated 1TB HDD in addition to it for backup purposes. So total of 3 hard drives in mine.

Don't really need a sound card either. Most motherboards have decent integrated sound. Either way, sound cards aren't too expensive unless you're looking at something professional.

Don't forget, you may need a CD/DVD drive (or blu ray). Also, I put a better fan on my CPU for cooling instead of the one that came in the Intel box. I also added a couple of fans on the chassis for better flow. Don't forget the power supply. Make sure the power supply is big enough (in W) to support the stuff you're putting inside. Last but not least, you'll need to buy a copy of Windows since your newly built PC won't have an OS.

There are tons of resources on the web. I used the internet to figure out how to build my first one. When I put it together, I was almost certain I messed something up and it wouldn't turn on. But, I plugged it in and flipped the switch and it powered up with no issues.
TY

Yes, I do recall having to get his last one with a power supply. Had something to do with the video card being what I call a "fake me out" single card. It was supposedly one card, but it was really two, if that makes sense. Needed a beefier power supply. I still don't know why the power coming in from the socket in the wall isn't sufficient.

Also, yes, they come with some sort of blu-ray drive. I think he said he uses the blu-ray to backup stuff and save stuff on.

I think the SSD pair is/are his main drive for programs. The jumbo hard drive is where he stores stuff.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0