View Single Post
      03-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

That looks nice.

I don't game all that much -- no time -- but my two youngest kids do. I assume you are a bit older than they (they are college and high school age), but maybe you can give me some good insights...

How do you find the "build it yourself" option as compared with the "buy it" approach?

How often do you have to upgrade or replace them? I don't know why it is that my PC seems to be just fine for about 5-7 years, but my sons' seem to only be any good for about three years.

I've been buying them for my kids, but if building it would be better, I may "motivate" them to do that instead the next time round. It's been about three years since I bought the last one for my youngest son, (he's on his third one currently) and he has been "hinting heavily" that it's about time for a new one. The other one seems content with his existing machine, so I'm not giving him any ideas. My daughter seems to have found other amusements in her life, but she "gamed" for a time.

FWIW, the Fragbox they've been choosing is something along these lines:
- 1 video card -- whatever they think is the top one
- 2 solid state drives (I think these are the "raid" ones)
- 1 jumbo hard drive
- whatever they think is the top processor and motherboard at the time
- a sound card
- as much memory as they can get in the thing

TY for any input.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0