View Single Post
      04-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #1
ArthurMorgan
Right to Repair Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 M

Question Argh - Shiny leather!! (Merino) - How to fix it?!

Hey everyone, first post in the detailing section! I have a 33k mile '17 X5 M with the black Extended Merino option. I've had it since October and until I saw a similar vintage car for sale at my local dealer, I had no idea that the Merino leather was supposed to be perfectly matte. Mine, particularly on the driver's seat, has become rather glossy, and the steering wheel almost seems like a well polished military boot; it's soft and supple, but very smooth and shiny.

I was under the impression that this was just how the leather naturally wore, but it appears that this is a sign of the leather being dirty. This is the first vehicle I've owned with anything other than cheapo basic "leather", so I have practically zero experience taking care of something like this.

I have seen Colourlock products mentioned as a good way of returning the seats back to their matte goodness, particularly the mild leather cleaner. I'll go ahead and try that, but what do I apply after the leather cleaner? Anything at all? The leather dashboard has been cleaned with Meguiar's (I know, I am a pleb, I don't know any better) Ultimate Leather Detailer, because I figured something containing UV protectants couldn't hurt with the Texas sun. The dashboard actually looks pretty good; nice and matte, not shiny or glossy.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, because I'd love to keep this leather looking as nice and original as possible.
Appreciate 0